Gender Stumped - RIR & Buff Orp - Roo or Hen?

Lilibet

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2018
Newport Center, VT
My husband & I finally got chickens for the first time this spring after we moved to VT. We bought 8 from a woman in St. J when they were 8 weeks old. We told her we wanted hens for eggs. We raised them, named them and loved them & they grew big, and very big & bigger - until one of them crowed at about 13 weeks, and then another. After doing some research, I'm fairly confident we have at least 5 roosters, and 1 hen. I can't figure out the remaining 2 - our big, beautiful Buff Orpington and our tiny RI Red (at least that's what we think they are because that's what we were told, but the woman also told us she was "pretty sure" they were all hens). The Buffinator was actually the tiniest of the bunch at 8 weeks and now s/he's huge. S/he has a large comb, as big as the boys' but not as red. Penny is the smallest, has an itty bitty comb, but has some business going on with the back end that concerns me.

Please let me know your opinion on these two who are both now about 14 weeks. I obviously would like more than 1 hen, but now nothing would surprise me. Thank you in advance for your insight.

IMG_2841.JPG IMG_2852.JPG IMG_2851.JPG

Back
Top Bottom