General Ponderings...

jenkassai

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
I am TOTALLY loving the experience of raising these chicks
love.gif
I also think it's interesting to have a few different breeds and notice the differences between the breeds. One thing I was wondering about, do the different breeds feather out at different rates? My Jersey Giant girls are getting lots of feathers on their wings, tails and I can see some around their necks as well. The Columbian Wyandotte, who is the same age (2.5 wks) has wing feathers, but no tail feathers yet. Similarly, my 3 Dominique girls have wing feathers and I can see the tiny start of feathers on their tails, but the Buff Brahma who is the same age as the Doms (1.5 wks) has wing feathers but no tail feathers yet. So it just made me wonder if that could be breed related somehow:confused:

The other question I was pondering, was at bed time when we first turn the lights off (we use an Ecoglow heater in the brooder - LOVE IT!!!), everyone chirps a lot as they are settling in. It doesn't alarm me because they don't seem alarmed, just very chatty - lol! Like girls at a slumber party who really don't want to go to bed yet
wee.gif
I know I have heard flocks of wild birds do a similar thing when they would all settle into one tree for the night, they all seemed like they were chirping a lot as they got settled. Has anyone else noticed that? And then during the night I will occasionally hear a soft peep or chirp or two, like they are talking in their sleep:lol:

Sounds like everything is going normally and they are doing fine. Yes, there will be some differences in feathering.

Back
Top Bottom