Genetic color question regarding making sex-links ;)

Quote:
The pic of the ghost barred cockerel is an older pic and I sold him a few months ago

Quote:
Ummm lol isnt this what we are talking about ? The hen you pictured is Reggie's daughter right ? And I'm pretty sure based on her pattern that she is a "Black" Sexlink with the barred rock mom. So if you were to breed him with barred rock hens, and hatch several chicks, then I think you would probably get about half that look like regular black sexlinks, and half where the females would look like the hen you posted and the males would probably look like the cockerel I posted..... Stay with me now ... lol

Quote:
Ummm lol isnt this what we are talking about ? The hen you pictured is Reggie's daughter right ? And I'm pretty sure based on her pattern that she is a "Black" Sexlink with the barred rock mom. So if you were to breed him with barred rock hens, and hatch several chicks, then I think you would probably get about half that look like regular black sexlinks, and half where the females would look like the hen you posted and the males would probably look like the cockerel I posted..... Stay with me now ... lol

Oooooooooohhhh... I see. Thanks! So he'd sire half "traditional" BSLs and half white BSLs, right? Do you think I could sex the white chicks early on, or would I need to wait for them to feather out? This is SO cool. I'm glad I asked...
wink.png

Anyone want some hatching eggs next spring, LOL? Here's a current pic of his daughter...
48412_liesls_pics_626.jpg

I'm not sure how early on you would be able to sex them and how accurately, I figure gold coloring in the neck and breasts of the chicks are your surest sign for pullets but I've seen some of the traditionals that are pretty much solid black which would mean that you may get some solid white pullets that would probably be hard to tell apart from the roos.

How much would you want for some eggs, i would probably take some if I am able in the spring, I was actually already planning on getting some Sexlink chicks and a few BCMs next spring to keep in a layer pen so I can start back up selling eating eggs again, and some of these would go great for that purpose. Do you have any pics of her eggs ? If you want to, PM me and we can talk about it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom