Hello everyone,

I have been looking through all the forums on Genetic Hackle birds for Fly Tying. A common theme I see is people wanting to buy eggs to raise their own birds for this purpose. I am one of those people.

There are many posts from several years ago where these eggs were being sold, but I see no recent ones. To help myself and those looking, I wanted to ask all the interested Back Yard Chicken Members if they know where or from whom these eggs could be obtained.

Thanks!

-Tucker
Are you still looking for these?

Hi, Alvin Theriualt in Staceville,Me was the last breeder of the true Metz and Hebert lines of genetic hackle that sold eggs until 2010 when i got my eggs from him.We tie flies daily from the flock in size 12 to 18.Beaverkill Outfitters out of Rome,NY ocassionaly sell eggs from this line also.
Do you still raise Genetic Hackle Fowl?

Yes, I agree with you. It took so long to develop their qualities, it would be very unlikely to share with the masses, so it's indeed an impossibility. Someone mentioned in a previous post to make sure the birds lineage is documented and be weary while buying. But I don't think there are birds of that caliber available for backyard chickeners such as myself. Although if there were, I would love to know. Anyway I don't want a end product chicken. I want birds with a head start, that I could myself attempt to selectively breed to create longer feathers for pike fishing. I'm not too worried about the finer specifics of feather quality.
I believe Glenn at Sandhill preservation center has some Genetic Hackles. NOt sure if they are from the lines you are mentioning.

I believe Glenn at Sandhill preservation center has some Genetic Hackles. NOt sure if they are from the lines you are mentioning.
Sand Hill's line came from me, and my line is directly from Joel Alsdorf (Alsdorf Genetics). I LOVE this line, I tell people they are my "guilty pleasure" birds. I don't sell many - the market is small for birds where the roosters are the main event.
This line is very mellow, I can keep a mix of about 50/50 males and females with limited aggression between the roos. They tend to come out on the bad end of mixed flocks with larger breed roosters. The hens are ok layers of small light brown eggs and like to go broody in warm weather. Even the hens have a distinct look to their hackles and are very pretty, unique birds.

Really? I wasn't sure if Glenn's hackles were really Genetic hackles. That's the good thing about backyard chickens, you make connections in ways that benefi everyone. Thanks for th description of the Alsdorf line. They seem like really great birds. How often do you sell eggs or chicks? I want to try to get some Hackles once I'm out of the house.

Really? I wasn't sure if Glenn's hackles were really Genetic hackles. That's the good thing about backyard chickens, you make connections in ways that benefi everyone. Thanks for th description of the Alsdorf line. They seem like really great birds. How often do you sell eggs or chicks? I want to try to get some Hackles once I'm out of the house.
I do sell eggs and chicks each year. I have no trouble meeting demand for them. Let me know when you want some. In the mean time, checkout the rest of what I raise on my website, welbars.com

I got chicks from @dheltzel and it was great - they grew up to be awesome birds!

Attachments

• Custard .JPG
    Custard .JPG
    757.7 KB · Views: 15
  • P1050144 (2).JPG
    P1050144 (2).JPG
    967.3 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom