Genetics Experts: Can you get Lavender from B/B/S?

This thread is an education.

So Kathyinmo, what you need are some Lav Ameraucana pullets to put under your Silkie Splash birds.

That will really mess up the genetics!!!!

I wouldn't breed lavender into the silkied birds. Lavenders already have feather quality issues and I would be afraid you would end up with a bald bird........

Quote:
Give yourself more credit--you may not have caught up yet, but you're getting there--even if we have to drag you kicking and screaming
wee.gif

Last edited:
pips&peeps :

I wouldn't breed lavender into the silkied birds. Lavenders already have feather quality issues and I would be afraid you would end up with a bald bird........

That is one of the things they worked at eliminating early on. You'd have to talk to Deb or Bren about that to get the details, though. There is a thread at The Coop about breeding it out. Offhand I do not recall who it was that was able to eliminate it from their birds (not silkies) by vigorously culling all birds that exhibited the problem to any degree. I think the breeder was from Australia or New Zealand, but as I said, I don't remember eactly who.​

Quote:
That is one of the things they worked at eliminating early on. You'd have to talk to Deb or Bren about that to get the details, though. There is a thread at The Coop about breeding it out. Offhand I do not recall who it was that was able to eliminate it from their birds (not silkies) by vigorously culling all birds that exhibited the problem to any degree. I think the breeder was from Australia or New Zealand, but as I said, I don't remember eactly who.

My statement was more geared toward the "silkied" ameraucanas than silkies. They don't seem to have good feather quality already and adding lavender to the mix is not going to be pretty.

pips&peeps :

Quote:
That is one of the things they worked at eliminating early on. You'd have to talk to Deb or Bren about that to get the details, though. There is a thread at The Coop about breeding it out. Offhand I do not recall who it was that was able to eliminate it from their birds (not silkies) by vigorously culling all birds that exhibited the problem to any degree. I think the breeder was from Australia or New Zealand, but as I said, I don't remember eactly who.

My statement was more geared toward the "silkied" ameraucanas than silkies. They don't seem to have good feather quality already and adding lavender to the mix is not going to be pretty.​

This thread is getting better each page. I did not know that Silkied Ameraucana existed. Yet alone in Lavender. Can you show them? Are you breeding them Jean?

Quote:
My statement was more geared toward the "silkied" ameraucanas than silkies. They don't seem to have good feather quality already and adding lavender to the mix is not going to be pretty.

This thread is getting better each page. I did not know that Silkied Ameraucana existed. Yet alone in Lavender. Can you show them? Are you breeding them Jean?

Jean isn't breeding them. They "appear" to be a mutation, though it's not known for sure. The thread about them is titled "What's wrong with their feathers" by Jubaby.

ANOTHER one??? With TUFTS?!?!?!?!
Does anyone know of any Lavender Ameraucana's or Araucana's that were mixed into the Lavender project? That BUS OEG lookin daddy must have been a cross of Black Orp or Australorp and something with tufts? lolol
I am lost how he is developing. Definite BUS boy. And a BLUE something lolol

I LOVE THE BUS!!!

Here is the yellow chick a current up to date pic

387760143.jpg

That is some tufts

387760357.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Kathy I appreciate that pic.
This is what I am talking about doing. what Charlie says. he knows how to prove it.

:Why not just breed Him back to its known mother, she is or must be carrying the gene and will confirm its lavender or not.. you will want to hatch as many chicks as possible because you will only get % of pure lavenders from the hatches if indeed it is lav

he does kind of look a lot like are earlier stock did..he more than likely has blood from our stock from the past..sold tons and tons of black splits, eggs and lavenders all over the place ..so basically almost every tom, dick and harry has them now..
its just a matter of improving the stock & or the breed which one is using them for, which i know many are working on them and other breeds with them, which improving them is the ultimate goal for any of these birds..perfection is not far off for the Lavender Orpington that i do know..if you got them please do work on them, if you don't, please do get some and help get them were we all want them be here in the USA..

Thank you Charlie for explaining here how for me to know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom