Genetics in Calls

Quacking Pigeon

Crowing
Mar 12, 2018
NSW, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
Ok thanks. And what if I were to breed a white to a mallard. I know white is dominant, so would I just end up with white birds and possibly mallard carrying white recessive. Thanks

White isn't dominant :) In ducks, white is recessive. It also 'covers up' every other color. So, unless your male is split to white, you won't get any white ducklings at all. What you will get will be a surprise, depending on what color the female is genotypically 'under' the white.

Also, since you're in Australia and your color names are possibly different than ours, when you say blue mallard, is this a mallard duck that is solid blue? Or, is it a mallard patterned duck that also has the blue gene, which in the US we would call blue fawn? The ad is gone now so I can't see any of the pictures, only the one picture of the chocolate bibbed hen.

Last edited:
White isn't dominant :) In ducks, white is recessive. It also 'covers up' every other color. So, unless your male is split to white, you won't get any white ducklings at all. What you will get will be a surprise, depending on what color the female is genotypically 'under' the white.

Also, since you're in Australia and your color names are possibly different than ours, when you say blue mallard, is this a duck that is solid blue? Or, is it a mallard patterned duck that also has the blue gene, which in the US we would call blue fawn? The ad is gone now so I can't see any of the pictures, only the one picture of the chocolate bibbed hen.
That’s interesting. Also, here’s the photo of the ‘silver Mallard drake’.
7B9C62B9-C245-4201-A107-CAC1B6255218.jpeg

That’s interesting. Also, here’s the photo of the ‘silver Mallard drake’.
View attachment 1900099

I think that's actually what we call blue fawn, probably what you would call blue mallard. I don't think he has two copies of blue, just one. His head looks too dark to be silver, though it's possible that's just the lighting in the picture.

I think that's actually what we call blue fawn, probably what you would call blue mallard. I don't think he has two copies of blue, just one. His head looks too dark to be silver, though it's possible that's just the lighting in the picture.
I see the resemblance to a blue fawn. Also, here’s another picture that was on the ad:
2FF01486-2E88-4EA2-8DA8-F9B962208772.jpeg

The heads definitely dark.

Back
Top Bottom