Genetics of This Pullet?

Labelles Velders

Chirping
Mar 21, 2019
Hello! Today I acquired an 8 month old Easter Egger pullet from a local feed store. Based on her appearance, does anybody have any assumptions about her genetic makeup? I’m a beginner to genetics, so I’m not sure if some traits like recessive white vs. dominant white can be distinguished by appearance. Thank you for reading!

E1750962-AA29-488F-B19E-DC3B81DB51BC.jpeg

Could actually be splash instead of dominant white. What color are her legs? If willow, she is likely splash blbl. If yellow, she could be either. Dominant white likes to bleach out otherwise dark legs.
Looks to express both extended black E and wheaten e^wh
I also see mahogany Mh and RoostersAre Awesome could be correct about the columbian Co.
She looks beautiful!

Could actually be splash instead of dominant white. What color are her legs? If willow, she is likely splash blbl. If yellow, she could be either. Dominant white likes to bleach out otherwise dark legs.
I also see mahogany Mh and RoostersAre Awesome could be correct about the columbian Co.
She looks beautiful!

Her legs are green :)

Thank you all for the help!

She looks beautiful!
How do you tell if a mixed breed, like an EE, has wheaten? Also, I didn't know that about dominant white, that's pretty interesting. :)

How do you tell if a mixed breed, like an EE, has wheaten? Also, I didn't know that about dominant white, that's pretty interesting. :)
Uh... lucky guess? I suppose it could be duckwing too, but wheaten is a common base in EEs. Another thing that had me thinking was the red extension was very high. With a duckwing bird she might be more splash.
Of course, duckwing+columbian could do the same thing, and I think mahogany can affect it too.

Yup! Then splash is the likely base. Splash can be tricky because it can look so much like white, but it’s pretty common in EEs so it’s something you’ve got to look out for.
Splash EEs can have any leg color, most common leg colors in splash EEs are white legs, & slate. Green legs are a combo of genes, the Yellow leg gene + Slate/dark shank.

Back
Top Bottom