Genetics of Welsummer x Easter Egger Mix ?

SwampQueenChick

Songster
Sep 13, 2019
We bought Welsummer hen from Tractor Supply ( stock photo below - not mine )
Rooster is possibly Easter Egger mix so we are told.

Would like to breed the two of these for chicks.
We would like to know the possible genetic outcome of these two.

Will the chicks be sexlink?
What will be plumage color?
What color eggs will their offspring lay?

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 11.34.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 11.40.42 AM.png

You are asking for a genetic prediction where half of the genetics are unknown.

The rooster "may" carry the blue egg gene. If so, it is linked with pea comb. The feather colors are gray/black/silver with gold leakage and mahogany/gold/partridge. The females will tend to exhibit partridge phenotype. Males will tend to exhibit mahogany, especially on the wings. Presuming the male carries the oocyanin gene, 1/2 of the females will lay some form of blue/green egg.

edit: wanted to add that partridge phenotype is NOT the same as partridge coloration.

We know the genotype of the hen, which is basically wildtype(as found in Jungle Fowl).

We can can tell the rooster's dominant gene that are expressing(as in color) such as he is heterozygous extended black(E/ possibly wheaten or eb), and Blue which is Bl/bl+ he is golden S/s+ at the sex linked s locus.

Will the chicks be sexlink? No, half of the females should be gold the other silver based and 50% will be at least solid black/blue the rest will have chipmunk or mostly chipmunk chick down.

What will be plumage color? half of the females should be gold the other silver based and 50% will be at least solid black/blue the rest will have chipmunk or mostly chipmunk chick down. The black/blue ones will mature to look like leaky blacks or leaky blues(like father), the chipmunk colored ones will grow to be either wildtype/partridge, 50% of those will have blue at the tail and flight feathers.

If the Oocyan mutation is linked to his pea comb, then at least 90% of all of the pea comb chicks will inherit the blue egg shell mutation.

Why dont you breed them and then post here for us lol your cockerel might be an olive egger he has feathered feet thats all I got lol but heres a chart that could maybe help this chart works if your rooster is an f1 possibly View attachment 3292022View attachment 3292023
This helps a lot thanks! We will definitely post the outcome! We will wait til spring when she is older. Don't want to deal with chicks during winter :)

Will the cockerel offspring be the same color as the pullet offspring?
As you know pullets have a different pattern than cokerels even on the same color type(for example Welsummer hens look different from Welsummer roosters), but half will look Black/Blue and half will have a similar pattern as Welsummer(some with blue tones on the black areas)

I avoid hatching chicks from eggs laid by young hens. The eggs are often 1/3 smaller than the hen will lay after a few months. Small eggs tend to hatch chicks that have more problems than larger eggs. So as you suggested, wait for spring and then hatch some chicks when she is laying larger eggs and the weather is better.

View attachment 3291187View attachment 3291190
This is the result of a lavender Ameraucana crossed over a welsummer hen, and this is the only one that shows the self blue color , most came out a very dark pattern due to lavender having black genes ! When making crosses the rules never apply 💯 %

Attachments

• FFCF8321-D912-46E0-A362-98554ABB5264.jpeg
    FFCF8321-D912-46E0-A362-98554ABB5264.jpeg
    591.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 571E6839-6284-4C5F-ACF6-A1EB797D2C1E.png
    571E6839-6284-4C5F-ACF6-A1EB797D2C1E.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
You are asking for a genetic prediction where half of the genetics are unknown.

The rooster "may" carry the blue egg gene. If so, it is linked with pea comb. The feather colors are gray/black/silver with gold leakage and mahogany/gold/partridge. The females will tend to exhibit partridge phenotype. Males will tend to exhibit mahogany, especially on the wings. Presuming the male carries the oocyanin gene, 1/2 of the females will lay some form of blue/green egg.

edit: wanted to add that partridge phenotype is NOT the same as partridge coloration.
I understand it's hard to predict. My young daughter has been studying chicken genetics and asked to post the question! I'm just excited she has found this interesting. I appreciate your reply.

Back
Top Bottom