Genetics Professor looking for Albino Chicken Feathers

Pics

Rod Scott

Hatching
Nov 9, 2019
Hi Chicken Enthusiasts,

My name is Rod Scott and I'm a Biology Prof who does research with DNA. I have learned that some albino chickens have a very interesting change to the DNA that can be easily studied using genetics techniques that are now available in most undergrad biology labs. I'd like to try to develop a new teaching lab activity using feathers from albino chickens (and their parents and normal siblings if possible), but I don't have access to the feathers I need. Can anyone reading this post help me figure out where to get some feathers like this? If so, please contact me directly at [email protected]

I'll be very grateful for any help you can provide.

Thanks,
Rod

Hi Chicken Enthusiasts,

My name is Rod Scott and I'm a Biology Prof who does research with DNA. I have learned that some albino chickens have a very interesting change to the DNA that can be easily studied using genetics techniques that are now available in most undergrad biology labs. I'd like to try to develop a new teaching lab activity using feathers from albino chickens (and their parents and normal siblings if possible), but I don't have access to the feathers I need. Can anyone reading this post help me figure out where to get some feathers like this? If so, please contact me directly at [email protected]

I'll be very grateful for any help you can provide.

Thanks,
Rod
I have a split albino Cockerel, does a split count?

My split albino Black Copper Maran X Gamefowl cross.
0925191231a.jpg

Hi MysteryChicken,

Thanks for following up! I'm not sure about the chicken you show in the picture. How much do you know about the details for this chicken? When you say "split" are you just referring to the fact that it has some appearance of being albino, but doesn't look completely albino? or are you using the term "split" to refer to the genetics? For example, do you know whether it has one copy of the normal gene and one copy of the albino gene? Or does "split" mean that this is a sex-linked gene and this is a male with one copy?

Sorry for all the detailed questions... I'm interested in this chicken, but unfortunately, I don't know enough of the chicken breeding lingo to know what "split" means.

thanks,
Rod

Have you reached out to the American Poultry Association? They may be able to help you find some US sources.

http://amerpoultryassn.com/

In addition, there are various breed clubs in the US, might help.

And, getting in touch with some breeders or hatcheries could net some results - we use a smaller hatchery that has been in operation for approx 100 years, so they are a knowledgeable bunch and are involved in the chicken circuit of selling and shows.

So, an easy way to find some near to you would be NPIP:

http://www.poultryimprovement.org/statesContent.cfm

This will bring up a document that contains a list of all NPIP in whatever state you click on. For example, OH has 37 pages of NPIP listing, but IL only has 14 pages. They list names and addresses, so you might be able to find some that you could travel to, or find ones to call. Since you are a professor, I'll assume you are pretty good at data, and can sort through all those codes. :) On the left side of the NPIP site, you will see "Stock Codes" - this is your key to all those number and letter combo listings for each NPIP listing. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom