Genetics Question... Please help me.. so I can do the math...

texascowboy1979

Songster
10 Years
Aug 14, 2009
Texas - Best Place on Earth
Genetics Question... Please help me.. so I can do the math...

Let me know if its a Dominant or recessive trait and if Im correct

Indian BLue = BB and Bb both produce Indian Blue Peafowl...

Pied Peafowl = PP is Dark Pied, Pp is Pied, pp is White, BP is Indian Blue Split to Pied.

Green = GG and Gg are Green

I guess what I wanna know is... what do I get if I cross:

Pure Green with White = ???
Pure Green with Cameo = ???
Pure Green with Pied = ???
Pure Green with Charcoal = ???

I know they will be spauldings... but what color will they show?

All will be blue with green tint in the neck , spalding.

White and pied cross ones will have white flights.

Now if the Cameo is a male all his daughter will be Cameo Spalding.

Quote:
Yes peach is sex link also..

If you use peach,cameo,and purple hens. All will look blue or green ,all males will be split to their mothers colors. hens can't be split to sex link colors.

Quote:
I know they will be spauldings... but what color will they show?

2. All hens will be Spalding Cameo and males will be Spalding split to Cameo.

If you breed a Pure Green to a sex link gene ( Peach, Cameo and Purple) ALL of the hens will be what they are, Spalding Peach, Spalding Cameo and Spalding Purple / ALL males will be Split to those colors. (Green or Blue) some will show more green then the others.

Only if using a Peach ,cameo, or purple Male.

Quote:
2. All hens will be Spalding Cameo and males will be Spalding split to Cameo.

If you breed a Pure Green to a sex link gene ( Peach, Cameo and Purple) ALL of the hens will be what they are, Spalding Peach, Spalding Cameo and Spalding Purple / ALL males will be Split to those colors. (Green or Blue) some will show more green then the others.

Only if using a Peach ,cameo, or purple Male.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, .... question.....what was the main purpose of creating Spauldings? I'm assuming it was to introduce other color & patterns ( sorry don't know the correct terms) into the greens..... ? What should I be trying to breed my Silver Pied Spaulding too...... what should be my goal..... ? Sorry, I try to understand color, genetics etc... but I need the "For Dummies version"
big_smile.png

Sorry TXCB, didn't mean to hijack your thread.......
hide.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
There are not to many folks out there that have Spalding Silver Pieds so you best bet would be to find a HIGH % Spalding Pied or Spalding Pied White Eyed and you could even breed it to a Spalding White.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Yes main reason is to add the new colors & patterns in the green , like your silver pied spalding , even a white high % spalding are grand looking birds, taller and larger train.

I have a real nice silver pied spalding hen, nice mate for yours.

If you want a even higher % bred him to a pure green, they bred him back to his daughter out of that mating....

If you mate him with a high % silverpied spalding hen = 25 % spalding white 50% silverpied, and 25% darkpied(white eye)

Great thing about having a male you can do both breed to a pure green, and silver pied spalding .

Back
Top Bottom