Gentleman Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by seanb, Nov 26, 2011.

1. seanb

seanb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Central PA
    Just thought I'd pass along something that has me really impressed. Our Barred Rock rooster, Bob, is quite the gentleman. We have three roosters and nine hens that we've raised from day-old chicks in May of this year. The other two roosters..........I'll just say that they're destined for the dinner table. But Bob, he's a keeper.

I noticed early on that he was always the last one to go into the coop at dusk. He always waited until everyone else was in before he went in.

And lately, I've noticed that he'll pick up a piece of food while they're free-ranging in our yard, and call one of the hens over and drop it in front of her. I don't know if this is common but watching a rooster displaying good manners towards the ladies is quite impressive.

[​IMG]

2. Jaygood787

Jaygood787 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    Maine
    I noticed the same behavior today. Hes just starting to grow up. My rooster is also Barred Rock/ Java. He just started having his way with the ladies and since then, Ive seen his actions change a little bit. He lets them take the food first and was last in the coop today. Hopefully he keeps it up, or his number will be up next.

3. Newwell

Newwell Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] He is lovely!!! [​IMG] I hope our rooster turns out to be like him. Our chickens (BO's & RIR's) are 10 weeks old & so far so good. He is a cuddler & a beautiful BO.

4. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    What a guy! And so handsome as well [​IMG]

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I have nothing to say that others haven't already, but this..."Bob". Hee. I love it.

6. seanb

seanb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Central PA
    His name wasn't always Bob.

Of the three Barred Rock chicks we got in May, we decided to name them 'The Rockettes'.

Babs, Babe and Belle.........since we were told they were all female.

That turned into Babs, Bob and Belle.

To the original point, I'm just amazed to see such selflessness in the animal world. (Not that he isn't getting a little sumpin' sumpin' in return... [​IMG]

7. barry750

barry750 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2011
    Liberty, Texas
    You still have pumpkins?!

8. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    You have a nice flock and beautiful scenery in the picture. Yep it is cool to get a good rooster. [​IMG]

9. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    Our Barred Rock Pete is the same way. I wonder sometimes if he eats at all. He's always giving the girls food. He even has a cute sound he makes when he tries to herd the girls to the roost.

10. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Quote:That is a pretty picture! I love my new roo, Jesse, a bantam cochin. He has already saved my girls from the hawk by gathering them into the shed. The hawk took hold of the neck of of my neighbor's Japanese bantam roo, but they were able to shoo the hawk off and their rooster is ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by