German New Hampshire

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by crazyhen, Oct 6, 2011.

1. immyjay54

immyjay54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Oh my gosh, those little yeppers are sure sweet things. Never get tired of looking at them. lol
    Jim

2. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    I believe you can bring groceries over the border, at least in smallish quantities. No need for border patrol to know that the couple dozen eggs you have are hatching eggs instead of eating eggs.

3. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Roy

[​IMG]

The girls are just finishing a molt.

[​IMG]

4. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok

good looking birds

5. CC1892

CC1892 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    East Coast

Old fashioned customer service -Congratulations!

6. immyjay54

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I'll tell you one thing, it seems to me that the New Hampshire is making a pretty strong come back. At least with the folks on BYC. Lots of folks seem to be getting them and doing a pretty good job with them. They all seem to look pretty nice. They all seem to have a little flaw here or there but who knows, maybe this is the way they were intended to look and the SOP is trying to change them. lol I don't imagine that there are to many of us that don't have some kind of a flaw if we were to be judged by man. ha,ha.
    Jim

7. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    I could not agree more with this post [​IMG]

8. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    There probably is a little something to what you say. New Hampshires were, I believe, originally bred for production, meat and eggs. Those original breeders probably weren't too concerned with tail angle and such. Showing and husbandry don't always involve the same goals.

9. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    That was the only reason for the development of the New Hampshire. I guess that is true for a lot of breeds, but to forget what they are supposed to be is a mistake. There are some good looking well bred birds out there. Good looking well bred birds that are productive and useful are a rarity.
    My main focus and concern this year, is functional traits and ability. Of course this will not be my only concern, but it will be my main concern. I want my New Hampshires to perform like New Hampshires, not just look like them. Who wants a Leghorn that does not lay well?

1 person likes this.
  10. immyjay54

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I like the way you put this gjensen and that is about how I feel also. These are beautiful birds and one can only hope that any that are working with them try to keep them as nice or nicer then the originals. Mine are all young but the oldest ones are looking pretty dern good. I am really wanting to see them all grown up and then start picking out my best cockerels and pullets to keep for breeders. I don't show but I sure to want to keep birds that do their job and it is nice to have the pretty, well conformed birds to go with that. lol I'm sure not planning on culling at a young age unless it is something very much off the norm. Jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by