German New Hampshire

Joe brought back eggs from two lines.

Importing birds seams to be as much time, work, and paperwork as it is money. It is expensive. I looked over the requirements and left it at that. Someone that has actually done it would be who could help.

Ok he brought back eggs boy that does throw a whole different scenario into the question at hand then HUh?

I was just repeating another post from somewhere on here of who and where these GNH came from. now we got that all in the clear.

Yeah I could imagine you have to go thru hell and high water to get birds imported/exported here. Its expensive enough just getting them shipped nationally by the USPS

Last edited:
The way I have heard it has been done goes like this. I buy two trios of the best German Rose Comb Rhode Island red large fowl for say $400. Then they ship the birds in boxes that are to the Federal Regulations here in the USA. Lets say that cost $400.Then the birds can not come to my farm right away. They have to stay at some official site approved by the Department of Agriculture for maybe up to one year.

This could cost another $500. Then when they are cleared they can be shipped to my home in boxes from Horizon for say a total of $200.

This is a Lot of money and time to import birds from Europe.

I don’t know if Canada has the tough rules like we have Does anyone know?

What happens if you have four dozen eggs shipped to Nova Scotia Canada to a Red Breeder. Can he get eggs into Canada and then put them into a incubator.

The object here is then one or two years latter he brings two trios to the Ohio National Poultry Show and you bring them home to your farm.
You just can’t put four dozen eggs in a box and ship them from Germany to you home and have on the box kook coo clocks.

What do you think?

Bob

This is what I have heard from our Canadian friends... you can not ship eggs to Canada BUT you could ship them to a post office near the boarder and they can pick them up and DRIVE them into Canada. There is a limit on the eggs like 2 doz. I don't know about shipping them from Europe though probably not easy to do in Canada either. Would you not have as hard of a time getting birds into the US from Canada? Seems the same laws would apply no matter were the birds come from.... just thinking.

Canadian regulations are alot cheaper, and easier from my understanding. You could ship adult birds to Canada and they would be quarantined on the farm from my understanding

The way I have heard it has been done goes like this. I buy two trios of the best German Rose Comb Rhode Island red large fowl for say $400. Then they ship the birds in boxes that are to the Federal Regulations here in the USA. Lets say that cost $400.Then the birds can not come to my farm right away. They have to stay at some official site approved by the Department of Agriculture for maybe up to one year.

This could cost another $500. Then when they are cleared they can be shipped to my home in boxes from Horizon for say a total of $200.

This is a Lot of money and time to import birds from Europe.

I don’t know if Canada has the tough rules like we have Does anyone know?

What happens if you have four dozen eggs shipped to Nova Scotia Canada to a Red Breeder. Can he get eggs into Canada and then put them into a incubator.

The object here is then one or two years latter he brings two trios to the Ohio National Poultry Show and you bring them home to your farm.
You just can’t put four dozen eggs in a box and ship them from Germany to you home and have on the box kook coo clocks.

What do you think?

Bob

You can have a trio entered say at the Ohio National show from Candada then sell them to a US breeder as this is how we got the Columbian Plymouth Rocks into the USA for Scott or Yard full of Rocks a year ago. If we could get eggs or live birds from europe to Canada then this person could take care them for us then in two years raise a few and enter them at the Ohio Natioal and get them to us who want them.

Some one will have figured out how it is done.

bob

You can have a trio entered say at the Ohio National show from Candada then sell them to a US breeder as this is how we got the Columbian Plymouth Rocks into the USA for Scott or Yard full of Rocks a year ago. If we could get eggs or live birds from europe to Canada then this person could take care them for us then in two years raise a few and enter them at the Ohio Natioal and get them to us who want them.

Some one will have figured out how it is done.

bob

Bob,
I had one of the State Vets at the house today doing the NPIP testing for me and so I asked him about importing birds from Germany. He told me that he has shipped them out more than brought anything in but he was telling me that he didn't think that it was a big deal. I asked him about them holding the birds and he said that they would but no longer than 60 days but every State would be different. I then asked him about getting eggs in a timely manner in order to incubate them and he did not see a problem with that at all. The biggest cost would be the shipping on either the eggs or birds but he sounded like it was no big deal. He gave me a # to call to talk with the people who do this sort of thing in Louisiana and I'll see what I can find out for you.

I'm thinking you should try for eggs and hope you get a male and female to hatch. It sounds like that would be the cheapest and fastest way to get some birds without depending on anyone else or waiting a couple of years to get them.

Chris

I will talk to my State and Federal Vet about this. I will try for some Rose Comb Rhode Island Red large fowl eggs and maybe so me Silver Gray Dorkings if there are any good ones over there.

It sounds easy but I think a bunch of Fed Red Tape will flag up on us. Ever heard of Avian Flu. This is feared as bad as mad cow disease in live stock. They dont want to get any new birds into this country with chances of a disease pooping up and then getting into the commerical chicken folks houses. Avian flu is also not good for humans as well. So will look into it. Thanks for the information.

Bob

read this thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/515167/importing-eggs-from-europe/20

noow this site

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/poultry_eggs.shtml

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom