German Shepherd/Great Pyrenees mix - your opinions please!

The pups are free. Mom had basic obedience training as a pet, by a local dog trainer.
My DH is now giving me the same argument that some of y'all mentioned. He wants one or the other, but not a mix.
hmm.png

I think DH is really giving you his answer. Sounds like he's not **quite** ready for a new dog and he'd prefer a purebred. Don't worry, you'll find the right dog! Good ones always seem to show up at just the right time.

Last edited:
Quote:
Too much prey drive. I totally agree.

This is a three month old post...she already has a pup.

Yep, and plan to get another GSD from the same breeder soon. Prey drive? GSDs were originally bred as livestock herders and guardians. Jax's parents are both used for protection of a sheep herd that his breeder owns and ours is learning his job very well.
smile.png

I would totally go for it, and try to choose a pup for health first, obviously, but trainable temperament. (where are you, I might take one!
wink.png
)

I have two mix breeds, one is a (likely, but not certain) pyr mix. The other is a rat terrier mix. They are GREAT with our birds. The pyr mix welcomed them from the first day and now they are in her circle of care that she carefully observes, she acts as watchful guardian of everything in the yard. The terrier mix (who chases everything that doesn't belong in our yard, wild birds, squirrels, cats (but not our cat)) knows to ignore the chickens & guineas, and leaves them completely alone.

How old are the pups?

LA~Poulet :

I would totally go for it, and try to choose a pup for health first, obviously, but trainable temperament. (where are you, I might take one!
wink.png
)

I have two mix breeds, one is a (likely, but not certain) pyr mix. The other is a rat terrier mix. They are GREAT with our birds. The pyr mix welcomed them from the first day and now they are in her circle of care that she carefully observes, she acts as watchful guardian of everything in the yard. The terrier mix (who chases everything that doesn't belong in our yard, wild birds, squirrels, cats (but not our cat)) knows to ignore the chickens & guineas, and leaves them completely alone.

How old are the pups?

It's been awhile since I posted this. I'm sure those pups have found a home. My DH was gifted with a GSD pup after our Charlie Girl passed away. We've been in contact with the breeder our GSD came from and plan to get another around christmas. He's just an awesome pup. Came from Texas.
I found the original pups I posted about (the GSD/GP mixes) on www.petfinder.com I'm sure there is others available.​

I would personally be concerned with the prey drive of the GSD in it. You could give it a shot, if it doesn't work out, it could just be a pet. But if you're looking for a full-time livestock guardian, I would look for a LGD breed that has been raised from puppyhood with livestock of some sort. I wouldn't want one that is being raised as a pet.

Oh, oops really old post.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
The German Shepherd is not considered a Livestock Guardian Dog. They are being blamed for ruining the genetic makeup of true LGDs.

From http://www.canids.org/occasionalpapers/livestockguardingdog.pdf on page 108:

... crossbreeding “shepherd’s dogs” (LGDs) with German, Dutch and Belgian Shepherds has resulted in dogs which chase rather than guard livestock (Taylor 1998a,b, 2000; Nelson 1996 reviewed in Taylor 1998b).

Back
Top Bottom