Gettign your hen to sit?

Brian461

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 29, 2008
Cleveland,TX
Ok i have a hen that is laying eggs i was taking them but now i am leaving them there to see if i can get them to hatch. But she is about 2 yrs old, is she to old to be sitting. There is 7 eggs in her nest right now how many will she lay before sitting on them.

12543_sheep_006.jpg

this is the hen. I go out there everyday to see if she has layed anymore eggs or to see if she is sitting, but everytime i go out there the eggs are being moved around. I don't know if that means anything but she is moving them.

She really does'nt have a broody look to me. My buff orphington gets a total different look, mad, puffed up, grouchy. Does your hen set on the eggs for a long time? Does she come out only to poop and eat? And when she does poop does it smell really bad, a big glob? These are the signs of a broody hen.

the only time i see her sitting is when she is laying eggs, and thats around 12pm-3pm but other then that she is walking around eatting, and at night they have a tree that they sleep on every night. So i think i am wasting eggs bc i dont think she is going to sit.

Hey, you can have mine... all she does is sit sit sit.....
barnie.gif
I can't get her off the nest. Can you say.... Chicken Codon Bleu?
gig.gif

Quote:
I think you're right, don't waste any more eggs. She's not in the mood to be broody. And like I said, you can't make her want to set. Now, if I could, I'd send you my Buff. She is determined to set...LOL

Yep, you can definitely tell when they are going broody! My BO gets MOODY and walks around with her feathers all puffed out and dares you to come near her nest! Thank goodness she just hatched out those eggs, I am ready for her to calm down a little!!!

Back
Top Bottom