getting a broody

trooper

Songster
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
Staunton,Va
old.gif
I'm hoping this is the right site.I now have pr and bsl.7 hens is all I have.I'm wanting to get a few hens that are good Brooders and a good Rooster.I had a pr rooster and he passed on to the big Rooster.I also would appreciate some help on if I can leave them in with my egg layers or do I need to separate them.If I need to do this then I need to expand my coop and divide my my run.I'm wanting to raise my own chickens and need guidance.Any help is appreciated.Thanks

As it sounds like you are aware, some breeds are more prone to brooding than others. Put another way, some breeds have had the broodiness largely bred out of them and others have not.

When I first started this venture, I thought it would be cool to have broody hens raise batches of chicks. After doing my research, I got some Buff Orpingtons, since most people seemed to agree they are very prone to broodiness. I even got them from a breeder vs a hatchery, to ensure an even greater chance. Then I sat back and waited...and waited...and those hens got older and older and never did show even a day's interest in brooding.

Meanwhile I had a variety of other hens for egg laying and wouldn't you know, it was a BSL who finally went broody on me. And when she was a year and a half old too! So sometimes you can't plan for it.

I've heard Cochins and Silkies are your absolutely best bet for broody hens and good mothers. I've yet to have either of those breeds but others will probably vouch for them.

As for where to keep them, if they are broody and raising chicks it is a good idea to segregate them from the flock. However I wouldn't go overboard on separating them until that time comes, since you could get broody breeds and still never have a broody hen.

Last edited:
old.gif
Thank you for your time.I have been raising chickens for about 2 years and it has been about layers.I want to go into another phase so that I can learn more.I want to learn as much as I can about the different phases that is involved in raising chickens.The only thing at this time that doesn't get my attention is I have no desire to incubate.I plan on doing it a step at a time.

I got my first chicks last April--33 girls and 5 boys. Only 3 of those pullets are bantam size and all 3 stay broody. I break them and 2 weeks later they are back on the nest. None of the others, many of whom are broody breeds have shown any tendency to set. Finally, I let the mille fleur hatch some eggs last week, and it has been so easy letting her take care of them. The other 2, silkies, are so jealous, so I will probably let them have a turn.

old.gif
I've been doing some research on what kind of chickens to get.I'm looking for a good breed in hens as well as a rooster.I just like the idea of raising my own.I'm also in the process of adding to my coop to allow for the broodies to sit in peace.Thanks for the ideas.
idunno.gif

Keep in mind that the hen doesn't care whose eggs she is sitting on. In other words, you could get a Silkie or Cochin hen, since those are purportedly great broody hens and Mamas, but have your rooster and other hens be of a breed you are interested in raising. For example, say you wanted to specialize in Wheaten Marans. You get a half dozen WM hens, a WM rooster, a couple of Silkie or Cochin hens, and when one of the latter goes broody, put some of the purebred WM eggs under her and let her hatch them for you.

What HEChicken said.

I don't do it that way, because I'm not into breeding .... However, all of my roosters ARE ;) and I've had a few hens go broody... I let them hatch. With a mixed flock, I have quite a few crossbreed chickens. My most consistent broody hen is a Buff Orpington; she's gone broody and hatched chicks 3 times in two years.

Back
Top Bottom