Getting a Mallard Duck

Ducklingguy

Chirping
May 3, 2021
North Carolina
I was supposed to have got a crested duck a couple of weeks ago, but the seller backed out šŸ˜”, so I never got him.
Fortunately, I found a Mallard duckling that just hatched two days ago. I go pick him up Sunday, and Iā€™m very excited. I want a duck I can raise from birth, and make him a very close pet. The lady selling him, herself has a pet mallard duck she raised from birth. She gave me some pointers, such as buying duck diapers at a very early age to train him while in the house. Very nice and insightful lady, she is.
Anyone got a pet mallard? Iā€™m just curious if you have any pointers, or what may help him. Itā€™s always interesting and insightful to read othersā€™ opinions and adviceā€”especially those who have experience.

Thank you,
Ducklingguy šŸ¦†

ps. I do own 6 Pekins, I love dearly! However, I want a duck that will stay by my sideā€”as in close companion. My pekins love their independence, and more accustomed to having their space, yet committed to the flock.

I had Mallard ducks years ago. I would raise them in the spring, over summer, and let them fly south for the winter. Ducks make a mess out of everything. I kept my ducks outside. But I live on a lake, and I think they were just happiest when swimming and diving for food in the lake.

:lau I think if I would have had a duck with a diaper in the house, Dear Wife would have made me sleep outside!

Also, in my limited experience, ducks do make the best pets. My ducks were like cats and could care less about me or what I was doing. My geese, on the other hand, would follow me everywhere like puppy dogs. But I had never considered either the ducks or geese as potential in house pets.

If you find a way to have a duck as a pet in your house, that would be a good story to tell.

You can get ducks and raise them to be very good pets and still have them live outside, having a house duck is a bad idea, it will be much happier living outside with other ducks. As long as you raise them right there is no reason they won't continue to be great pets into adulthood. There really just isn't a reason to buy a single duckling for the purpose of raising not around other ducks its kind of cruel.

You can get ducks and raise them to be very good pets and still have them live outside, having a house duck is a bad idea,

I think I should have worded my post better. Ducks can make great pets, but I would not recommend them inside the house. My dad had our ducks trained to come home when he called them. In the evening, the ducks might be swimming out in the lake, but my dad would call them home and they would take flight and come flying home from across the lake for their evening snack and then put away into the pen for the night. That was always fun to watch and my dad really enjoyed it. In the fall, we just let them fly south for the winter. So they were our "pets" for about six months and then we said goodbye.

Back
Top Bottom