Rouen or Mallard… make or female?

Mcaperton

In the Brooder
May 11, 2023
I got 6 ducks from TSC a month ago… I don’t know the gender of any of them and I thought I had 3 Rouen ducks but now I’m thinking they’re mallards?? They weren’t labeled. This is my first rodeo so I’m doing my best but I want to be more educated. They’re wet and in the pool in these pic but I’m hoping someone can give me some direction

Attachments

• IMG_2271.jpeg
    IMG_2271.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2272.jpeg
    IMG_2272.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2273.jpeg
    IMG_2273.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2274.jpeg
    IMG_2274.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2275.jpeg
    IMG_2275.jpeg
    300.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2276.jpeg
    IMG_2276.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 11
I believe the duck is just a Rouen, and the other is a Pekin. You can only tell if they're male or female right now by their voice. Females will have a much louder, distinct quack, while drakes will have a soft, whisper sound. After a few (2+) months, the males will then acquire their curled tail feathers, begin mounting, and get their male plumage. Females will start laying eggs, keep their coloring, and try mounting or allowing a male to mount them, showing signs of wanting to mate. This might take a few months to know who is male and who is female. The female ducks might not even start laying eggs till the next spring/summer. Pekin ducks will stay white no matter their gender or age. Rouen ducks will all look like females until their first molt, then you'll see whos male or female.

Back
Top Bottom