getting a pyreneese

Quote:
A prong collar would solve that. Usually pyrs don't pull. They don't like to walk far, and plod slowly beside you. They would rather sleep next to the goats than take a walk. But if yours is pulling, a prong collar would fix it with one or two walks. It quickly teaches them not to pull without hurting them.
With a dog breed this big, you need to keep it in a heel position just to avoid any future problems with her accidentally knocking someone over. Same with teaching them not to jump up on people (in happiness) or put their paw on people. They are so big, they could knock someone down, which actually puts them in danger from being destroyed for such rambunctious behavior. We don't let any of the big dogs pull on a leash or jump on people or even "shake". I don't want someone to ever accuse them of being vicious for any small behavior. A twenty pound paw smacking someone in happiness and excitement could actually hurt a small or elderly person and bring about the destruction of an innocent dog. Demanding that huge dogs remain sedate, never pull, never jump, etc actually protects them from anyone deeming them vicious.

Quote:
A prong collar would solve that. Usually pyrs don't pull. They don't like to walk far, and plod slowly beside you. They would rather sleep next to the goats than take a walk. But if yours is pulling, a prong collar would fix it with one or two walks. It quickly teaches them not to pull without hurting them.
With a dog breed this big, you need to keep it in a heel position just to avoid any future problems with her accidentally knocking someone over. Same with teaching them not to jump up on people (in happiness) or put their paw on people. They are so big, they could knock someone down, which actually puts them in danger from being destroyed for such rambunctious behavior. We don't let any of the big dogs pull on a leash or jump on people or even "shake". I don't want someone to ever accuse them of being vicious for any small behavior. A twenty pound paw smacking someone in happiness and excitement could actually hurt a small or elderly person and bring about the destruction of an innocent dog. Demanding that huge dogs remain sedate, never pull, never jump, etc actually protects them from anyone deeming them vicious.

I found a collar that loops over my Pyrs muzzles. They wouldn't walk on a leash at ALL. Works like a charm, after a little work. http://www.amazon.com/Headcollar-Royal-Blue-Dogs-130/dp/B00074L4Y0

I love these dogs. They are gentle giants, but I must repeat what everyone else has said.... they must be taught. I've lost two chickens to my pyrs. One was killed outright and the other licked and licked... died later.

I have learned the hard way that a properly socialized pup is crucial. I got a dog at six months and one at six weeks. The six week old is the killer, but she loves me and will do what I ask. I stern "no" will put her in her place. The older dog has more of a mind of her own.

Also, make sure you have a really REALLY good fence. If these two could get out, they'd set their own territory and prowl the whole 100 acre farm, instead of my three acre corner.

Good luck. They are wonderful dogs. If I'd known, I'd have had them all along.

smile.png

we went ahead and got him.. he is so sweet..I understand what everyone is saying...I have already started introducing him to my chickens and goats... he was around chickens at his old home... all he does right now is ignore them... we will be working with him daily... He already adores my daughter... she named him Phantom... ... He is more of a rescue... he was in a not so good situation ...I am taking him to the vets today for a check up...

Last edited:
Good luck and congrats! My neighbor has a GP and she is a sweet heart. She is very much an escape artist though and would always come over here to play with my dogs. Wasn't a problem until she discovered the chickens and started digging holes under my coop. The day I caught her in there and she had a chicken in her mouth - unhurt thankfully - that was the last call. They hot wired their perimeter to keep her in and we haven't had a problem since. I did have to repair the damage that she did to my fencing though - not a big deal, just time consuming. They are very nice neighbors so there was no need to make a stink with them. The dog is like how people describe them. She is pretty hard headed and independant. She is also a voracious barker and will stand at the fence and bark forever....
I will add that this dog has NO JOB and is probably bored to death which is why she liked to come over to play....

Quote:
THIS!

My Pyr was all of seven months old when he dragged me over a patch of ice, which resulted in my leg being in a cast for two months and a couple more months of physical therapy. Very important to make them heel. He saw a squirrel trying to get in "his" barn, and zoooooom, off he went after it.

so far he is a great puppy... he stays in the house but loves to go outside... he sleeps with my daughter(she leaves the tv on at night and she will wake up and it looks like he is watching it)... very well behaved so far...KNow this can change but are working hard not to teach him bad habits

Back
Top Bottom