Getting back into chickens help with deciding on breed?

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I ended up choosing from the list/everyone's suggestions based on what was available and what could ship the same day (also added some). I ended up ordering one pullet each of the following:

-Barnevelder
-Blue Laced Red Wyandotte
-Silver Laced Wyandotte
-Golden Laced Wyandotte
-Silver Pencil Plymouth Rock
-Barred Plymouth Rock
-Salmon Faverolle
-Speckled Sussex
-Jubilee Orpington
-Welsummer
-Buff Brahma
-Dark Brahma
-Blue Copper Maran
-Golden Laced Polish (My kids pick)

I also ordered one Salmon Faverolle cockerel which he may end up having trouble covering all of the ladies, but we will see how it goes. I would rather start out short a rooster then too many. Hopefully the feathered feet fare well in the snow, but if worse comes worse we are already planning on building a run like we had for our ducks at our old house. It was all hardware cloth during the summer, but we designed it so over the winter we could easily put up clear polycarbonate panels to block out the wind/snow then take them off when it warmed up again. I know with the horses it only takes not even a hour in wet snow for the ice balls to start so I would rather spend the extra money if needed to protect the chickens feet rather then have them constantly dealing with icy feet.

Update: The post office called me at 6:30 this morning and let me go pick everyone up before they opened. Everyone was happy and healthy! Even my blue Laced Wyandotte and blue copper Maran I got lucky with them actually being blues!

Attachments

• PXL_20211006_133221139.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211006_133221139.MP.jpg
    770.8 KB · Views: 5
I remembered this morning that Chanteclers and Buckeyes were both bred to thrive in severe winter areas. I don't know anything about their other qualities.
I selected Buckeyes for this very reason. My flock is around 8 wks old now and have been in their yard for about three of those.

Personality-wise, I enjoy their inquisitiveness. They all come streaming out of the coop when I come to the yard and call them. That said, I probably would not have them around small children. The game bird strain makes them feisty. As early as 2-3 weeks, I noticed they would chest-bump each other and face off.

In the yard, they will occasionally jump at my hand when I’m reaching down. I use controlled thumps to make them back down (which they do). But I wouldn’t want a small child to be faced with that. I also expect that will slow down as the pecking order is established.

Their overhead awareness impresses me, given that they had no older birds to learn from and they are so young. I do have hawks,eagles, ‘yotes, and other preds. I also appreciate how they coop-up quickly at nightfall so I’m not herding them in before lock up.

All in all, I’m quite satisfied with my choice and would probably make it again

Back
Top Bottom