Getting back into the hobby need advice

Pics

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
So Ideally I'm looking at modifying this coop build from an 8'x10' coop that sits 2' off the ground to a 6'x8' that is 2' off the ground. This would make the run 8'x14'. So if I'm doing my coop math right I'd have plenty of room for 12 standard sized chickens. I'm in the mountains so the snow is sometimes deep and they may not want to come out which is fine.

Attachments

• coop plans.jpg
    coop plans.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 36
A friend is helping us mod the plans and build it.
I suggest you modify the roof line to include large overhangs all around with open soffits at the eaves and vents at the gables.
Not sure the 'skylights' are a good idea.

Totally forgot to update location we live in NY now.
No time like the present :D

Thanks, we've been her for a few years, but this is our first year with chickens. We do plan on putting insulation in the coop and also a small heat source. We were thinking of getting some small house windows to use instead of the ones they show in order to keep it warmer. Not 100% sure yet. We want to be able to add in as much light as possible.
How far up would you consider putting the roosts? My last coop 10 years ago they never used their roost, but the rafters of our shed.
I'm going to advise you against insulation and heat. Insulation is a invitation for rodents to make nests in, and chickens are well dressed to keep themselves warm. I'm north of you and don't have insulation or heat in my coops.

Roosts should be above the nest boxes. Not surprised your last flock roosted in the rafters. Some block them off with deer netting.

Do a search on this site about heat and insulation and you will find most don't recommend it.

I was just going to use foam board, though husband and boss wants to use rock wool and close up the walls to make it look finished (this coop is in a public space). As far as heating we just want to try to keep it above freezing in the coop so water doesn't freeze and comfortable for people working out there.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll bring it to their attention.
Chickens will peck the foam board. Closed in walls with insulation is a rodent hotel.
Use heated waters. If you heat the coop, chickens will become accustomed to the warmer temps. What happened if the power goes out for a few days do to a ice storm? You're birds are not going to be happy.

As everyone has been saying, insulation will do nothing in a properly ventilated space.
Feathers are very warm. Chickens don't need help staying warm.
They just need the breeze and strong drafts kept off of them so they can keep their feathers poofed.
They need dryer, fresh air to keep their combs from frostbite and their sensitive respiratory systems clean of harmful gases like ammonia.
Too many people build their chicken housing with a focus first on what humans want to look at (and then post their designs all over the internet), rather than what works best for the birds.
Once you build it, changes can be very difficult. And bigger is always better. Especially in the run where they spend most of their active hours.

If I lived up north, I would absolutely pick a Woods coop like @3KillerBs posted. It's time tested.

Probably all of us ladies on here have had dudes "build us something" and wound up with a result that didn't meet all of the needs.
Anecdotally: My father was a builder who fancied himself an architect, and the way he could mess up a kitchen... I can't even describe. Yes, they all had a sink and stove, counter and oven and fridge. But because he didn't cook, he didn't understand work flow for that task.

It's the same with poultry keeping, you have to think about what it's going to be like harvesting eggs, cleaning, feeding and watering, raising chicks, all in that space. (storage is something I sorely wish for)
And the same from the perspective of the birds.
Do they have room to stretch their wings to fly up and down from the roost, with other birds doing the same thing at the same time?
Do they have enough distance between the roosts to avoid pooping on each other, or all over the wall? Are the roosts high enough they feel safe? Are the nest boxes low enough they choose the roosts for sleeping? Is the air clean and free of excess humidity? And so on...

So this is the design my husband likes better. The roof would be metal to match surrounding buildings and there would also be a longer roof on top to make over hangs. We're still considering an 8ft long dog kennel in with wire mesh on the bottom for predator prevention and since it is easily seen by my neighbors we want to line the sides with above ground garden beds with trellises (about 2 feet from the run side).

This is a diy I found online that was pretty comprehensive. Here is the link: https://www.ana-white.com/woodworki...plGUnTeS8ZV39xmTKW1wFUmhAGrsqjYo86W9AjGdyouvo

Attachments

• new design.jpg
    new design.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 4
Ventilation.... Build with ventilation in mind. You want 1sqf of permanent ventilation per bird.
Ventilation should be well above the birds heads while on roost to avoid drafts. Yes, even during the winter. Cover the ventilation with hardware cloth to deter predators.

Where in NY are you? I'm East of Albany in the Chatham area.

Welcome back to the wonderful world of chickens.

Both those coop designs are MASSIVELY underventilated. :(

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

Pay careful attention to not just the suggested numbers of 1 square foot per hen, but to air FLOW through the structure. :)

suggest you modify the roof line to include large overhangs all around with open soffits at the eaves and vents at the gables.

We didn't plan it deliberately, but I ended up with enough overhang to walk around the coop in bad weather with minimum exposure to the weather.

Though my husband is also hesitant as well and is leaning towards a different design all together.

Have you considered a Woods Coop? They're splendid for cooler climates.

Okay, the guys were under the impression that rockwool was a bit more rodent proof. Oh we have a whole house generator so it would kick in and cover the coop as well as the house's electricity. I'll bring it up to my builders though, thanks.
They might know how to build, but do they, and you, know what chickens really need?
Heated an adequately ventilated coop is moot.

Back
Top Bottom