Getting back into the hobby need advice

Sullivan County.

In the first coop I was going to add vents above the door and on the opposite side. The door was going to be a dutch door so we can open only half with an windown that opens on the opposite side. Obviously with wire cloth.

In the second coop pic I was going to add a 7ft long x 1 ft high vent on the back side (the tall side) and then another window on the opposite side wall that can be opened in the mornings when we let the girls out. Reinforced with wire cloth.
Welcome to NY.. I think, lol.

Keep in mind if your window is the same hight of the roost, it's going to cause a draft in the winter.
Ventilation should be open 24-7 to allow moisture from the poop and breathing to escape. If you're planning on expanding to 10-12 birds, you should plan your ventilation on that number.

Welcome to NY.. I think, lol.

Keep in mind if your window is the same hight of the roost, it's going to cause a draft in the winter.
Thanks, we've been her for a few years, but this is our first year with chickens. We do plan on putting insulation in the coop and also a small heat source. We were thinking of getting some small house windows to use instead of the ones they show in order to keep it warmer. Not 100% sure yet. We want to be able to add in as much light as possible.
How far up would you consider putting the roosts? My last coop 10 years ago they never used their roost, but the rafters of our shed.

Welcome back to the wonderful world of chickens.

Both those coop designs are MASSIVELY underventilated. :(

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

Pay careful attention to not just the suggested numbers of 1 square foot per hen, but to air FLOW through the structure. :)

suggest you modify the roof line to include large overhangs all around with open soffits at the eaves and vents at the gables.

We didn't plan it deliberately, but I ended up with enough overhang to walk around the coop in bad weather with minimum exposure to the weather.

Though my husband is also hesitant as well and is leaning towards a different design all together.

Have you considered a Woods Coop? They're splendid for cooler climates.

Thanks, we've been her for a few years, but this is our first year with chickens. We do plan on putting insulation in the coop and also a small heat source. We were thinking of getting some small house windows to use instead of the ones they show in order to keep it warmer. Not 100% sure yet. We want to be able to add in as much light as possible.
How far up would you consider putting the roosts? My last coop 10 years ago they never used their roost, but the rafters of our shed.
I'm going to advise you against insulation and heat. Insulation is a invitation for rodents to make nests in, and chickens are well dressed to keep themselves warm. I'm north of you and don't have insulation or heat in my coops.

Roosts should be above the nest boxes. Not surprised your last flock roosted in the rafters. Some block them off with deer netting.

Do a search on this site about heat and insulation and you will find most don't recommend it.

I'm going to advise you against insulation and heat. Insulation is a invitation for rodents to make nests in, and chickens are well dressed to keep themselves warm. I'm north of you and don't have insulation or heat in my coops.

Roosts should be above the nest boxes. Not surprised your last flock roosted in the rafters. Some block them off with deer netting.

Do a search on this site about heat and insulation and you will find most don't recommend it.
I was just going to use foam board, though husband and boss wants to use rock wool and close up the walls to make it look finished (this coop is in a public space). As far as heating we just want to try to keep it above freezing in the coop so water doesn't freeze and comfortable for people working out there.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll bring it to their attention.

I was just going to use foam board, though husband and boss wants to use rock wool and close up the walls to make it look finished (this coop is in a public space). As far as heating we just want to try to keep it above freezing in the coop so water doesn't freeze and comfortable for people working out there.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll bring it to their attention.
Chickens will peck the foam board. Closed in walls with insulation is a rodent hotel.
Use heated waters. If you heat the coop, chickens will become accustomed to the warmer temps. What happened if the power goes out for a few days do to a ice storm? You're birds are not going to be happy.

So this is the design my husband likes better. The roof would be metal to match surrounding buildings and there would also be a longer roof on top to make over hangs. We're still considering an 8ft long dog kennel in with wire mesh on the bottom for predator prevention and since it is easily seen by my neighbors we want to line the sides with above ground garden beds with trellises (about 2 feet from the run side).

This is a diy I found online that was pretty comprehensive. Here is the link: https://www.ana-white.com/woodworki...plGUnTeS8ZV39xmTKW1wFUmhAGrsqjYo86W9AjGdyouvo
I love this !

Back
Top Bottom