Getting back into the hobby need advice

Chickens will peck the foam board. Closed in walls with insulation is a rodent hotel.
Use heated waters. If you heat the coop, chickens will become accustomed to the warmer temps. What happened if the power goes out for a few days do to a ice storm? You're birds are not going to be happy.
Okay, the guys were under the impression that rockwool was a bit more rodent proof. Oh we have a whole house generator so it would kick in and cover the coop as well as the house's electricity. I'll bring it up to my builders though, thanks.

Okay, the guys were under the impression that rockwool was a bit more rodent proof. Oh we have a whole house generator so it would kick in and cover the coop as well as the house's electricity. I'll bring it up to my builders though, thanks.
They might know how to build, but do they, and you, know what chickens really need?
Heated an adequately ventilated coop is moot.

They might know how to build, but do they, and you, know what chickens really need?
Heated an adequately ventilated coop is moot.
The one I had in OH was insulated and heated (heat lamp) and we never really had much issue. So I'll check what the guys want to do as far as insulating, cutting down the bitter cold may just do the trick. I did own chickens for 6 years without issue it's just been awhile and didn't really need to do much building since I used a previous structure that could easily accommodate 30 chickens, even though we rarely had more than 15 in it.
Thanks for all your help.

The one I had in OH was insulated and heated (heat lamp) and we never really had much issue. So I'll check what the guys want to do as far as insulating, cutting down the bitter cold may just do the trick. I did own chickens for 6 years without issue it's just been awhile and didn't really need to do much building since I used a previous structure that could easily accommodate 30 chickens, even though we rarely had more than 15 in it.
Thanks for all your help.

This article might be helpful to you. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

So this is the design my husband likes better. The roof would be metal to match surrounding buildings and there would also be a longer roof on top to make over hangs. We're still considering an 8ft long dog kennel in with wire mesh on the bottom for predator prevention and since it is easily seen by my neighbors we want to line the sides with above ground garden beds with trellises (about 2 feet from the run side).

This is a diy I found online that was pretty comprehensive. Here is the link: https://www.ana-white.com/woodworki...plGUnTeS8ZV39xmTKW1wFUmhAGrsqjYo86W9AjGdyouvo
Do you know what you're doing for a run? If you have a covered run up against the high end of this coop, you could easily open much of the top of that wall for ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom