Getting back into the hobby need advice

Pics

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
So Ideally I'm looking at modifying this coop build from an 8'x10' coop that sits 2' off the ground to a 6'x8' that is 2' off the ground. This would make the run 8'x14'. So if I'm doing my coop math right I'd have plenty of room for 12 standard sized chickens. I'm in the mountains so the snow is sometimes deep and they may not want to come out which is fine.

Attachments

• coop plans.jpg
    coop plans.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 36
So Ideally I'm looking at modifying this coop build from an 8'x10' coop that sits 2' off the ground to a 6'x8' that is 2' off the ground. This would make the run 8'x14'. So if I'm doing my coop math right I'd have plenty of room for 12 standard sized chickens. I'm in the mountains so the snow is sometimes deep and they may not want to come out which is fine.
2 questions:
Is the 8x10 already built, or will you modify the plans?
There are mountains in Ohio(maybe you've moved and haven't updated your location)??

A friend is helping us mod the plans and build it.
I suggest you modify the roof line to include large overhangs all around with open soffits at the eaves and vents at the gables.
Not sure the 'skylights' are a good idea.

Totally forgot to update location we live in NY now.
No time like the present :D

I definitely have been thinking about a bit of overhang and want to cover the run a bit with some corrugated plastic panels. Why do you think the sky light would be a bad idea? The area would be kinda shady and I was thinking it would allow more light in. Though my husband is also hesitant as well and is leaning towards a different design all together.
My original idea was to price out the materials and then go with either an OverEZ prefab amish built coop with run if building from scratch is going to be to pricy. Now I'm seeing they don't have good reviews.
I got approval for 6 girls, but the landlords husband said maybe more so I want to do room for at least 10-12.

So this is the design my husband likes better. The roof would be metal to match surrounding buildings and there would also be a longer roof on top to make over hangs. We're still considering an 8ft long dog kennel in with wire mesh on the bottom for predator prevention and since it is easily seen by my neighbors we want to line the sides with above ground garden beds with trellises (about 2 feet from the run side).

This is a diy I found online that was pretty comprehensive. Here is the link: https://www.ana-white.com/woodworki...plGUnTeS8ZV39xmTKW1wFUmhAGrsqjYo86W9AjGdyouvo

Attachments

• new design.jpg
    new design.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 4
Ventilation.... Build with ventilation in mind. You want 1sqf of permanent ventilation per bird.
Ventilation should be well above the birds heads while on roost to avoid drafts. Yes, even during the winter. Cover the ventilation with hardware cloth to deter predators.

Where in NY are you? I'm East of Albany in the Chatham area.

Sullivan County.

In the first coop I was going to add vents above the door and on the opposite side. The door was going to be a dutch door so we can open only half with an windown that opens on the opposite side. Obviously with wire cloth.

In the second coop pic I was going to add a 7ft long x 1 ft high vent on the back side (the tall side) and then another window on the opposite side wall that can be opened in the mornings when we let the girls out. Reinforced with wire cloth.

Back
Top Bottom