Getting back into the hobby need advice

Do you know what you're doing for a run? If you have a covered run up against the high end of this coop, you could easily open much of the top of that wall for ventilation.
Yes we plan on having a run right up against it. So I do plan on opening the tall wall in the back up for some extra ventilation. I also want to have daytime windows that will open up in the day time to allow for extra air flow.

As everyone has been saying, insulation will do nothing in a properly ventilated space.
Feathers are very warm. Chickens don't need help staying warm.
They just need the breeze and strong drafts kept off of them so they can keep their feathers poofed.
They need dryer, fresh air to keep their combs from frostbite and their sensitive respiratory systems clean of harmful gases like ammonia.
Too many people build their chicken housing with a focus first on what humans want to look at (and then post their designs all over the internet), rather than what works best for the birds.
Once you build it, changes can be very difficult. And bigger is always better. Especially in the run where they spend most of their active hours.

If I lived up north, I would absolutely pick a Woods coop like @3KillerBs posted. It's time tested.

Probably all of us ladies on here have had dudes "build us something" and wound up with a result that didn't meet all of the needs.
Anecdotally: My father was a builder who fancied himself an architect, and the way he could mess up a kitchen... I can't even describe. Yes, they all had a sink and stove, counter and oven and fridge. But because he didn't cook, he didn't understand work flow for that task.

It's the same with poultry keeping, you have to think about what it's going to be like harvesting eggs, cleaning, feeding and watering, raising chicks, all in that space. (storage is something I sorely wish for)
And the same from the perspective of the birds.
Do they have room to stretch their wings to fly up and down from the roost, with other birds doing the same thing at the same time?
Do they have enough distance between the roosts to avoid pooping on each other, or all over the wall? Are the roosts high enough they feel safe? Are the nest boxes low enough they choose the roosts for sleeping? Is the air clean and free of excess humidity? And so on...

As everyone has been saying, insulation will do nothing in a properly ventilated space.
Feathers are very warm. Chickens don't need help staying warm.
They just need the breeze and strong drafts kept off of them so they can keep their feathers poofed.
They need dryer, fresh air to keep their combs from frostbite and their sensitive respiratory systems clean of harmful gases like ammonia.
Too many people build their chicken housing with a focus first on what humans want to look at (and then post their designs all over the internet), rather than what works best for the birds.
Once you build it, changes can be very difficult. And bigger is always better. Especially in the run where they spend most of their active hours.

If I lived up north, I would absolutely pick a Woods coop like @3KillerBs posted. It's time tested.

Probably all of us ladies on here have had dudes "build us something" and wound up with a result that didn't meet all of the needs.
Anecdotally: My father was a builder who fancied himself an architect, and the way he could mess up a kitchen... I can't even describe. Yes, they all had a sink and stove, counter and oven and fridge. But because he didn't cook, he didn't understand work flow for that task.

It's the same with poultry keeping, you have to think about what it's going to be like harvesting eggs, cleaning, feeding and watering, raising chicks, all in that space. (storage is something I sorely wish for)
And the same from the perspective of the birds.
Do they have room to stretch their wings to fly up and down from the roost, with other birds doing the same thing at the same time?
Do they have enough distance between the roosts to avoid pooping on each other, or all over the wall? Are the roosts high enough they feel safe? Are the nest boxes low enough they choose the roosts for sleeping? Is the air clean and free of excess humidity? And so on...
Thank you for the advice and I'll check out the coop you mentioned. The problem that makes this kinda unique is that it is on a commercial public property so it has to fit certain requirements.

There are special requirements for chicken coops on commercial public property?
Plus, am curious to know more of these circumstances.
Property owner has the requirements. It has to look professional, fit with the property aesthetic. All plans have to be approved by property owner. This is a highly visible public business that we live on and care take for so it will be seen by no less than 10k people a year.

Property owners like the look of the over ez coops. So the compromise is build something, but it has to be approved.

Here is the revised sketch after looking at coop suggestions and such.

Attachments

• 20221024_155120.jpg
    20221024_155120.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The problem that makes this kinda unique is that it is on a commercial public property so it has to fit certain requirements.

That's awkward having to cope with things that either don't have anything to do with chickens' needs or, potentially, actively work against them. :(

One thing that can be done to improve an "Amish" style coop such as the OverEZ is simply to make it taller. That allows improved ventilation. :)

Back
Top Bottom