Getting Eaten Alive! HELP! (Grapic pics. coming)

I would definitely put neosporin or blu-kote on them and isolate them from the others. Maybe give the chickens more treats to keep them busy during the day. hang some greens or a bird seed treat in the coop so they will peck at that instead of eachother. And putting any kind of pepper on them is going to do absolutely nothing. Birds cannot taste the capsaicin; hottness of the peppers. i give mine habaneros as treats lol

Blu-kote has gentian violet in it. In addition to being an antiseptic, it disguises the scab. I was able to put my Roz back in the main coop one week after her run in with an eagle. You can get it at most farm supply places.

I second the dog crate idea. It is what I used for Roz that week before before she went back in with the rest.

Quote:

Last edited:
When you figure out who is starting this, put her in time out. Isolating her for a few days should take her down a peg or two.

That injury looks a little worse than my roo's after a hawk attack. He was missing for about three days so he received no treatment until we got him back home. The wound was horribly infected and I had to drain it before it closed up good. If your bird is infected, you will be able to smell it and see a yellow substance under the skin. I am trained in people medicine but the same treatment worked for my roo.

First, I poured peroxide over the wound and let it sit for a couple of minutes. I then dabbed it off with clean cotton balls and then repeated that process one more time. I heavily applied polysporin (human antibiotic ointment without pain meds) to the entire wound. It was hot here so I did not need to bandage but you may want to cover it with thick gauze and tape if it is cold there. Rinse with warm water and gently dab off the old ointment with a clean cloth or sterile gauze. Apply a little more ointment or bluecot without bandaging and the healing should begin.

{Peroxide will kill some of the bacteria and make the tissue brittle. The ointment also kills bacteria and will soften the skin/scabs to allow pus to drain. Heat or a non breathing cover will speed this up. Only leave it covered for about a day. Be prepared for the stink!
sickbyc.gif
}

I hope this helps your girls feel better. My Archie healed well after this treatment and is being as goofy as ever.
The others here will be able to give you much better advice than I ever could concerning reintroduction and chicken behavior.
D.gif

just don't fall for the "she did ok today, so I can keep her with the others" she has to be separated, asap. Even if you get a box and cut breathing holes in it for her. Imagine being picked to death! because they will go after her again. good luck

Thanks for all your help! I cleaned up the wound with peroxide and put on some polysporin. We got creative and used what we had on hand to use as a waterer and a feeder. We used a chick waterer, and an open top long oval container of some sort. Both set on small bricks. Problem is her water is freezing. Is it OK if I just ket her out for about 30 minutes everyday for a drink and then out her back in until the next? Or will she become dehydrated? Any ideas om how long she will need to be isolated/take to heal?
Thanks,
Leah

peckedBSLisolated002.jpg

peckedBSLisolated004.jpg

Quote:
30 minutes a day is not going to be enough. You will have to find a way to keep water accessible to her. I don't have problems with freezing water here so maybe one of our northern BYC members can give you possible solutions.

one of my RIRs looked just like those pictures you posted and i had to isolate her for a full 2 weeks for the scabs to heal and her skin to return to normal. i am currently reintroducing them during the day, in the yard, where they have better things to do than peck on her. she is still not allowed to be cooped up with the the others yet. i'm worried that they'll just peck her bloody again and we'll be back to square one. good luck with your chicks.

you can buy heated dog bowls for about 10.00 on up, but ddawn said a while back that find the one doing this and isolate her that way she is lower in the pecking order, but they will eventually kill one if left to themselves. you'll need to keep the pecker in isolation for about a week.

Quote:
30 minutes a day is not going to be enough. You will have to find a way to keep water accessible to her. I don't have problems with freezing water here so maybe one of our northern BYC members can give you possible solutions.

RE: Freezing water. I live in SE Idaho (near Yellowstone) and the only way to keep the water liquid without a heated waterer is to swap out the water several times a day. It is a pain, but your chicken will have access to fresh water when needed. Have 2-3 waterers on hand so you can thaw one out while the other is in the coop. This also helps minimize trips to the coop in the freezing cold! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom