Getting married but my feet are on fire

Okay!

Our families knew each other because my sister married his younger brother, but his family lived 3 hours away, so I didn't get to know the rest of the family very well. My husband, Stan, had been in a relationship for 4 years and was planning to marry her, but things got complicated and they ended up breaking up. He was single for quite a long time, but he was actively looking for a wife. No joke, he would drive to out of states singles get togethers to meet potential women who had similar interests and who loved the Lord. (The Lord is a big part of our love story) Out of all these trips, he found five girls at different times that he thought would be good wife material, but for whatever reason, either the girls or their dads turned them down. It was very frustrating for him, as he greatly longed for companionship in his life, but he kept praying and waiting and searching.
One day his mom was at the store with my sister and they were shopping. She saw a mug which had the Bible verse on it: "The Lord will give you grace and glory; no good thing will he withhold from them which walk uprightly'. His mom thought, "oh, neat!" And went to show my sister, whose name is Grace. After she put the mug back, she felt the Lord press on her heart that the message on the mug was for her. And she thought that was kind of interesting, considering that Grace had a sister named Glory (yours truly). The next time she was on the phone with Stan, she mentioned that she had a verse for him to look up. Stan grabbed his Bible and opened it and said, "what was that verse?" And when she told him the reference, he looked down and he was already opened to the page! They both thought that was veeeeeerrrrry interesting. He ended up calling my dad to see if it was okay if he could come over and start a relationship with me. While he was waiting to hear back from my dad, he went over to his grandfather's house. His grandfather has a screensaver that shows random Bible verses. When Stan was telling the story about the mug, the verse he was talking about showed up on the screen. 😱
My dad asked me if I was interested in getting to know him better and I said yes. Even though he lived out of state about 9 and 1/2 hours away, he drove up every other weekend to see me. Because of the verse showing up so many times, he felt certain I was the one God had for him to marry (He didn't tell me this for a while, because he didn't want to pressure me. He wanted me to make up my own mind about our relationship). He proposed to me after we have been seeing each other for about 3 months. I said yes, not because I loved him, but because he was a good man and it felt right. I didn't tell anyone at the time that I was not in love with him because I knew everyone would tell me I was crazy to marry a man I didn't even love. I was also experiencing a lot of emotional/verbal abuse at home from my mother and needed an escape. We planned our wedding for the fall. After we had been engaged about a month and a half, I was getting serious cold feet because of my best friend. She was my lifeline because of the relationship with my mother and I really couldn't bear the thought of having to move away and not be near her. I told Stan I wanted to wait till spring for the wedding. He was saddened, but was willing to wait. I remember calling my mom to talk to her about it and she pressured me into changing my mind so I went and told Stan we could get married in the fall. I felt trapped.
All of the wedding plans proceeded and we got married in October. It was hard and painful leaving my best friend and unfortunately she and I have almost no contact today. Ironic, huh?
But marrying him then ended up being great for my life. I ended up getting pregnant right away and we have a beautiful girl who wouldn't be here if we had waited.
The words Ma Graham spoke, "Love comes softly" is what happened to me.
My husband is such a good man. He saw potential in me, which only my best friend and my dad had up to that point, and to help me grow into the person I am today. He loves to say things like, "The bud is blossoming" or that he "finally opened the clamshell and found the pearl" (I tend to internalize and not talk as much so it can be hard to know what I'm thinking. He jokes that he has to pry open the shell on occasion).
So there's my long story. Hopefully I didn't forget anything. 😂
It is ironic. Dont you think? A little too ironic...yea, I really do think...its like rain on your wedding day :gig

Ive heard the expression of "getting cold feet" as your wedding approaches but as it stands my feet are on fire. I just want to get it over with so I can be done with the stupid questions of "are you excited?!" And "we cant wait, can you?" The answer is: no. I cant wait. I'm sick of waiting. Ive been engaged since august and had the wedding planned completely by december. We're gpimg to apply for our marriage license this week and I'm actually tempted to just have the judge marry us that day. Luckily its by appointment only and the circuit court is completely backed up so I cant ruin my dream wedding with my own impatience. I just keep having the things that can go wrong nightmares and I'm so sick of talking about wedding stuff. I just want to get on with our lives together and be DONE. Is that selfish or is this feeling normal?
Congratulations. May you both be blessed with joy.

Back
Top Bottom