Getting My First Chicks Today!

teresac

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 18, 2009
Blairsville, GA
We are getting our first peeps today. 3 BR. Here are my questions:

1. We have a plastic bin setup, 56 gal. w/harward cloth inserted in the lid. Have a 100 watt bulb & towel covering lid on one side. The light has been on all night in preparation for peep arrival...the temp has only gotten to 90 degrees. Is that enough? If they start to huddle what can I do?

2. When do they need a perch?

3. When can I start feeding them greens?

HELP!!! NEWBEE IN PANIC MODE
barnie.gif

the temp has only gotten to 90 degrees. Is that enough? If they start to huddle what can I do?

Mine only went to 80 and they should be at 90 so you'll be fine.
2. When do they need a perch?

I put it in at 1 1/2 weeks because they needed something to do
3. When can I start feeding them greens?

I started treats at about a week, but most poeple start feeding treats a 2 weeks

and
welcome-byc.gif

Got babies home a few hours ago! They are doing great so far. I changed the blub and getting up to close to 100. They seem to like it. I will watch to make sure not too warm.

I am just so happy to have finally got them home. Have been planning this for months!!
wee.gif

The guy at the feed store said not to feed greens for 16 weeks??? If you start yours at a few weeks what do you feed them? I just figured on scrapes of lettuce & spinach.

If you start yours at a few weeks what do you feed them?

Cooked egg, banana, apple, a lot of people start with yogurt or oatmeal. But when you start feeding treats you need to give them grit, TSC sells 5 pound bags of chick grit.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom