getting my goat update pics page three

gaited horse

Merry Christmas!
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
Fernley, NV
I am getting a goat in 2 days at the must now all I have to do is build the pen and house he is a Nubain wether. Anything I should know can they eat sage brush along with hay and got food. What shoud I look for in food.

Last edited:
I don't know the answers, but woohoo for the goat!!
clap.gif

yea I know but he will have horse friends he lives just a cross the dort road from me. he never has had a got with him I don't think. but he has been in with horses

For feed you can either feed goat feed in pellet form or in a mix. Or since you have horse's you can just feed the goat that ( I feed horse feed and dont have horse's )

When feeding hay dont feed a horse quality hay because it can cause bloat by eating to much. Feed a mix of hay like brome/orchard grass timothy/brome something like that.

big_smile.png

Hi,
How old is he? Thats the first thing if he's on milk than you give him that and some alfalfa, you can offer a little grain also.
When he is one he should only have grass hay nothing but that no grain. They can get stones and that can hurt them. You can give him treats like peanuts or some like banana peels.
I think I should let you know that he wont be very happy with out another goat, they are herd animals and really need another one. Some times they are ok living with a horse but just seeing it across the street I dont think is going to do it.
Good luck wish you lived in Wa I could give you a kid next month for him.
cool.png

He is 5-7 he will have the horses here. but thanks for the offer on that goat Zgoatlady maybe a little drive would'nt hurt anything though.

Congrats on your new boy. I, too, am concerned that he is alone. Goats are so social that they are truly unhappy when not with another goat friend. They often get so bored that they get into trouble or have actual health issues.

Now, having said that, occasionally (very rarely) a goat will seem to be Ok by itself or with another farm animal but I still am a strong advocate of having at least two.

Since he is a wether you need to read up on UC (urinary calculi). I never gave my wether grain accept as a very occasional treat. Here's a great link to give you more info: http://fiascofarm.com/goats/stones.htm

Good luck and have fun with him.

Back
Top Bottom