Getting over ripe (not rotten) produce from road side stand

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jtbrown, Aug 5, 2011.

1. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I have gotten a cantelope twice this week from roadside stand that had thrown them out. Really, after opening them they are totally edible or I wouldn't feed my chickens with it. I had to swear I wasn't eating it myself or giving to people, but chilled makes a great FREE treat for my flock. I am mortified that we waste so much food here in this country because it isn't perfect and pretty, at least my fowl will benefit. I didn't grow melon in garden this year, so I paid for one for us and got 2 for free for the birds, worth a try if anyone else sees roadside stands around. I hope they let me do this every once in a while!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I agree about the food wastage. One of the best things about keeping chickens for me is there is almost zero food waste in our house. What they don't eat can mostly be composted.

3. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Ah yes, the chickens eat ANYTHING! Tomato trimmings. Left over French Fries and Hushpuppies. Grass clippings. Stale bread. No more wastage at our house!

4. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

My husband has, on occasion, gone dumpster-diving for my girls. There are lip-smacking treats in there for the taking! They 'specially love dumpster spinach!

5. abejita

abejita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I'm a member of an organic co-op. Hubs and I help sort all the member shares. There is always a pile of fresh organics fruits and veggies that are too damaged to be given to the members. We make a chicken box because a couple of us sorters have chickens and we split the contents of the box. I've been freezing everything for them and giving them their frozen treats every afternoon. Today they got peaches and nectarines!

6. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:we need more people like you [​IMG]

7. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    I found a road side stand that is owned by the farm family that works the land it is on.

Each week during the summer, I drive to their place and bring them a dozen farm fresh eggs.

In return, they give me all their slightly damaged watermelon and cantaloupe that is not "good enough" to sell.

These folks do not have any chickens, they are strictly vegetable growers. So they enjoy the eggs. And my chickens enjoy the cool watermelon on the hot days we have been having, never quite realizing that they pay for their own summer snack.

It is a win-win for everybody.

8. CajunWildTurkey

CajunWildTurkey Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    My chickens get all the left over that make it pass my son, some times I have to sneak it by him just so they can get a treat.

9. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    That's the type of produce I buy for my rabbit, now I'll have to buy even more for the chickens [​IMG]

I was thinking of putting the compost bin in their run, anyone else do that here?

10. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I collect a banana box full of all kinds of greens and fruit and veggies from my local grocer every week... It' always a huge variety of stuff. The chickens love it. I promised him some eggs as soon as they all start laying.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by