Getting rid of birds, adding others.

GMoose

Songster
Nov 23, 2021
Pa
Hey all, I'm going to be getting rid of my 5 chickens and switching to an all waterfowl flock. right now I've got 2 female runner ducks and 3 female geese and they get along great, so great that I have been able to sleep them in the small 8x6 coop together at night and 100% free ranged in the day. Now I'm thinking about adding 3 more female ducks and as well as a gander and maybe another female goose. My questions: How will adding a gander affect my flock? Is it okay to have 1 gander with 3-4 females? will it abuse the ducks? I'm going to put the geese in the large coop and the ducks in the small coop, how will this affect the duck to goose relationship, and will the ducks become more independent and wander off and get eaten by hawks? (My large geese have been a nice hawk deterrent and the ducks stay close.) Thanks! 😊

Sorry the coloring is a bit off in the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20230713_075544.jpg
    IMG_20230713_075544.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 184
Maybe someone can add this to the geese/duck section? It's sort of urgent because a friend offering me the new birds is moving and needs to get rid of them. Thanks again.

the geese need at least 8 sq ft each inside the sleeping time coop. the ducks need at least 4 sq ft each. at night they cant get away from each other so more space is better especially if youre sleeping the ducks with the geese
how about your yard space how big is that? geese need a lot of daytime 'freerange' yard space. I have only 2 geese and 3000 square feet still seems small for them. my 13 ducks (and 2 chickens) have a separate yard space with their own 3000 sq feet, that seems to be perfect for them.
If too many geese are with ducks in space thats not big enough thats bad and if you get a gander you may have to divide your yard space to keep ducks separate... at least during breeding season.
so basically do you have enough space
geese wont save ducks from hawks, but they might warn them. you can make hiding places for the ducks , ie picnic tables, kid's playhouses, so the ducks can hide if/when a goose sounds 'the alarm'

They have 100% free range. No fence. They generally stay within 50 yards of the coop. They get along REALLY well, so even during breeding season I kept 2 ducks and 3 geese in an 8x6 which is definitely tiny but I’ve had no problem with it and they seem happy to go back inside to sleep

I've kept 16 Runners, 2 drakes in a 36sqft coop before with no issues. Actually, the coop is 80sqft with an 8' ceiling, but they are limited to the 36' area.
Edit: They have access to a 240sqft pen every day, and free range over an acre+ most days.
I know nothing about geese.

I have one female goose since we lost her mate and she does great with the ducks and chickens. She got ornery when she went broody to the point I had to lock her in a dog crate overnight, but now that she is finally over that she is back to being friends with everyone again. She sleeps in the coop with everyone but when we had our gander no way could they sleep with everyone they had their own house.

Back
Top Bottom