getting rid of heat lamp

catterbug

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
Ohio
When is it ok to get rid of the heat lamp? My girls are 5 weeks old and I just moved them out into my garage. They were in my basement up until a few days ago. I know that you reduce the heat 5 degrees every week. The evening temps are in the mid to upper 60's. I have been shutting the lamp off during the day since it is in the 80's. What do you think about shutting it off permanently? I have RIR's, Golden Buffs, EE's and Salmon Faverolles.

Does anyone else have any thoughts? My husband is more nervous about shutting off the lamp than I am. I had to convince him it was ok to move them to the garage.

Just my two cents, shut it off tonight and watch for a few hours how they react. If they start huddling really tightly, you may want to turn it on for short stretches.

Their behavior can be a clue on whether or not you need it. After 5 weeks, I would think high 60's would be fine at night without it, as long as they are in the garage and sheltered from the elements and wind.

Good luck!

if the temps are 60's at night, get them outside asap. Chickens are super tough, think if they were wild they would have been too big to all be under momma about 3 weeks ago, they will fill out and feather out much quicker. Obviously if it gets down in the 30's keep them inside, but they need to be out, exploring, scratching, eating grass, worms and bugs etc

I have NEVER lost 1 bird to anything other than old age ever. Mine have never been inside beyond 3 weeks and unless we get some unseasonably cold weather i.e. below 40 they have not had the heat lamp beyond the 4th week. I am in Northern California. The last batch went out by April 1 this year. It got down to just under 45 a couple nights, they roosted next to each other and have been terrific birds since. Get them outside so they can be chickens!!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom