Getting testing done next week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe because most of us are not law breaking criminals willing to risk everything on the off chance our birds start an epidemic.....

You must be someone that does not believe the rules apply to him...thankfully you are the minority.

Well, that was rather snarky. I was not going to offer anything else to the OP but since you have so swiftly insulted me, let me continue a bit, then I'm done. I am breaking no rules, contrary to your accusation. To sell eggs and chicks off the farm, I do not have to register with any government agency. If you show or mail birds and eggs all across the country, you must belong to the government program. I said that, in case you missed it. I do neither.

And actually, I am not in the minority. I bet the majority of folks selling hatching eggs and shipping birds over state lines here on BYC are not NPIP nor do they have a vet's certificate of health. Most are just casual backyard flock keepers trying to sell extras to make up some feed cost.

Again, NPIP was not created for backyard flocks and it was never intended for them. It is an ineffectual program for preventing disease as it only tests for the rarely seen P/T and sometimes, depending on the state, AI, and it relies on the honor system from its members. It lends a false sense of security if people believe it to be more than it is. There is no way that registering your flock to be tested for two almost eradicated diseases yearly can protect your flock. Are they going to come put a dome over your house? I think not. They will, however, know where to come kill your flock if you are in the kill zone during a major outbreak among commercial flocks, which I truly believe is part of the point of pushing for this by the USDA, but I digress. The false sense of security of an NPIP flock is all I hoped to impart to the OP, if she was going to buy and sell to other NPIP people.

To illustrate the inadequacy of the NPIP program, it was an NPIP breeder in Washington State responsible for the spread of ILT, a particularly nasty and reportable disease that will necessitate the government coming out to kill every bird on your property if you have one test positive for it.
I know of a case in Indiana of one NPIP breeder selling an ILT carrier rooster to another unsuspecting NPIP breeder, who properly quarantined him for literally months. With no symptoms showing in him, she put him with her breeding hens and they all became ill. She called out her tester, who found ILT, which meant the rooster had to have been infected and recovered, or been vaccinated with the live vaccine. The government folks took every single bird on her property, even coops that were far away from the affected one, and put them all in a gas chamber, one by one, then gave her a list of rules telling her what she could and could not do from there on out. Again, an honor system fail and one reason NPIP is not what it is cracked up to be.

When people seem so happy and positive about being NPIP, I want them going in with open eyes. That was the purpose of my original, and this, post. Rose colored glasses have no place in chicken-keeping.

I get what you're saying as well but, I noticed an article put out a week before testing in a local newspaper about how backyard flocks are causing a rise in disease. I doubt it to be totally true but just like collecting rainwater or anything else that equals self sufficiency I'm sure there will be a crackdown so I decided to remain ahead of the curve. We live in a society that wants in on everything we do now. I do it by the book and then some so when they come to take what I work for they will have a real fight on their hands.

I honestly don't believe that bolded statement they made. My flock can cause no disease if it has none, and it never has had contagious disease, plus it has no contact with other flocks. I don't buy started birds. I don't go to shows. I don't go to swaps/auctions. I practice biosecurity. They have a healthy management of fresh air and sunshine and good food like most backyard flocks, in contrast to monoculture commercial operations where a sick wild bird can fly into a warehouse operation and die and disease spreads like wildfire because the birds are so crammed together in an artificial environment. The intention of NPIP and some of the articles (research into who is behind those goes a long way) is to protect big agri-biz, the commercial operations. My flock does not endanger those. Their management style does. I've seen those buildings. They are most definitely not disease-proof or wild bird-proof, not the ones around here.

I would think that if you are going to be tested,
there would be a list of regulations you have to meet to pass testing,
and that they would provide you with that list before you get tested.
You might have to ask for it,
they may assume that you know the rules if you've asked to be tested.

Yeah, I've read scores of information before contacting them and nothing as far as housing goes just for testing. There are rules and regulations if you are a bigger USDA certified organization. Not much to go on for regular homesteads. Texas A&M used to come out and do it but, now it's individual people they train. I can become a tester if I go take a one day class and buy my supplies. The tester I contacted doesn't even have her supplies yet. That's why I posted this to find others' experiences.

You may notice that not all state even require that chicks must come from a NPIP certified flock.
Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 6.37.29 PM.png

In Alberta, you don't need your chickens tested to sell eggs at the farmers market. They MUST be tested, though, if the eggs are being consumed by anyone outside of the buyer's "friends".

I wonder why Texas needs chickens tested? :)
Most states in the USA have some form of testing they require for certain things.
It's silly down here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom