Getting testing done next week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came across this. I just scheduled my NPIP testing for next Wednesday. I am a little nervous, I am sure for no reason but still! I am working on building my flock of Bearded d'Uccles and Call ducks trying to raise some show quality birds and I travel to a lot of shows so I think being NPIP certified will be beneficial now and in the future when I have birds to sell. Any tips from your experience I can plan for to make it as smooth as possible? I only have about 20 birds tops that are old enough for testing.
Neat. I had to put all the birds in the smaller coop (easier to catch that way) bringing them out one by one. I saved my roosters for last. Its good to have an assistant. My tester was really cool and by the book because she did not go inside my run/larger coop. She set a table up outside and she brought her husband to assist. They will poke under each wing and get some blood that they add some solution to. If it clots you have a sick bird. Even if you get all tests ok and it comes down to the last bird showing signs of sickness they will call in the state to do further tests and quarantine your flock. But, that shouldn't be a worry for most of us who have purchased from NPIP cert. places. They didn't test the waterfowl because the chickens were fine.

Just came across this. I just scheduled my NPIP testing for next Wednesday. I am a little nervous, I am sure for no reason but still! I am working on building my flock of Bearded d'Uccles and Call ducks trying to raise some show quality birds and I travel to a lot of shows so I think being NPIP certified will be beneficial now and in the future when I have birds to sell. Any tips from your experience I can plan for to make it as smooth as possible? I only have about 20 birds tops that are old enough for testing.
Oh, make sure u just have clothing on that can get bloody and maybe have some gauze or paper towels. Because some birds bleed alot.

Neat. I had to put all the birds in the smaller coop (easier to catch that way) bringing them out one by one. I saved my roosters for last. Its good to have an assistant. My tester was really cool and by the book because she did not go inside my run/larger coop. She set a table up outside and she brought her husband to assist. They will poke under each wing and get some blood that they add some solution to. If it clots you have a sick bird. Even if you get all tests ok and it comes down to the last bird showing signs of sickness they will call in the state to do further tests and quarantine your flock. But, that shouldn't be a worry for most of us who have purchased from NPIP cert. places. They didn't test the waterfowl because the chickens were fine.
Thanks! I plan to cage them and have them inside my shop where it will be lighted since she is coming after I get off work and it will be dark. I have had both tests done at shows in the past so I am familiar with that procedure so I kind of know what to expect as far as that goes. I only have two ducks currently and am hoping that she will test them as well. I doubt I will have an assistant so hopefully having them penned off will help. The last show I went to my white call drake was tested and I had spent so much time cleaning him. He bled AWFUL. I was not prepared for that so I had to do the best I could to clean him up. I'm glad after I get this done he will not need that done at shows anymore!

What state are you in?

Thanks! I plan to cage them and have them inside my shop where it will be lighted since she is coming after I get off work and it will be dark. I have had both tests done at shows in the past so I am familiar with that procedure so I kind of know what to expect as far as that goes. I only have two ducks currently and am hoping that she will test them as well. I doubt I will have an assistant so hopefully having them penned off will help. The last show I went to my white call drake was tested and I had spent so much time cleaning him. He bled AWFUL. I was not prepared for that so I had to do the best I could to clean him up. I'm glad after I get this done he will not need that done at shows anymore!
Oh ok. So yea, you're pretty understanding of the testing process. They dont give you a big worry about anything else, in Texas, from what I can tell. And you're right after that you get this nice piece of paper that you can take everywhere with no worries lol. All my flock was TP certified from one test. I eventually want to pay for Avian testing, even if I don't need it, it's on paper.

Oh ok. So yea, you're pretty understanding of the testing process. They dont give you a big worry about anything else, in Texas, from what I can tell. And you're right after that you get this nice piece of paper that you can take everywhere with no worries lol. All my flock was TP certified from one test. I eventually want to pay for Avian testing, even if I don't need it, it's on paper.
I am going ahead and getting AI testing done while she is there. I don't know for sure, but I think out of state shows require it. I am ready to get it over with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom