Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Oz mentioned brahmas in the past...... I am having egg production that satisfies me but not fertility..... maybe next year........... farming is not my strong suit

I have heard that some breeders of heavily feathered chickens like brahmas and Cochins trim the fluff around the hens backside to help improve fertility.

What's driven you to make the decision on the quail?
my decision on the quail is as follows

1: While I am sure I could sell them, I need minimum order pricing to cover the costs of getting birds to the airport. Its a day's work and around $20 in fuel + wear and tear on the car. Our min order is $42 + shipping charges that really cover the box, permits and airline charges.

I figure adult quail would sell for about $4 each. Chicks at around $1. (people sell a freedom ranger type chick for a buck each). I would have to sell just adults (at a cost less than day old chicks) to make it worth while. I would probably get the odd order for 100 chicks but most people buy the minimum and 40 would be too high a minimum. 12 quail chicks would sell for $10 and then shipping would be between $8 and $10 effectively doubling the price. Selling as adults means a lot of brooder space and thus infrastructure costs

2: While theorectically simple birds to raise, they require proper housing. To do it right, I would really need to build a three sided structure to protect them from our winds but provide enough ventilation to keep the stink down. Chicks are raised on beds of rice husks that desicate poop but quail are raised in cages with poop boards that need scraping daily. Cages ideally should be metal so they can be cleaned but metal is allergic to our envitonment. Wood is harder to keep clean. We spend 12 hours a week in the brooder house scrubbing and bleaching brooders whereas a pressure washer on wire cages could do it in an hour or two.

3. Bird selection. It took three attempts to breed quail. Finally we got them. They were doing fine and then we were hit with Ulcerative Enteritis (quail disease). It wiped out most of our stock. The birds that recovered took a long time to recover and we had very few of the white Texas A&M variety. They have continued to be unproductive.

If I was to really get into the quail business, I would want to do it right. I would get new breeding stock, new housing and take the time to train staff.

As it would really become a new venture, I think its better to do it when I have the time and stability.

Back
Top Bottom