Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Thanks for the kind words. I do love to write. My mother is a Librarian and is always encouraging me. Maybe this blog of sorts will get me going. It has really been fun putting the story down on paper. I now have probably enough crazy travel adventures to put into a book. I don't think I have the imagination to blast out fiction.
Oz I am reading through your thread for the first time when I got to this. I also am the daughter of a Librarian. But stuff like this you just can't make up!

You mentioning the cheese looking like explosives right after 9/11 made me remember my friend's story. She is a shepherd here in TN and imports English ram semen for artificial insemination of ewes. She had a shipment get held up the week after 9/11 because they wanted to know what it was. She told them, "It is ram semen, it should say so on the paperwork." ....... "Yeeees, but, what are you going to do with it?"
sickbyc.gif
smack.gif
This person just kept on and on just couldn't believe she was artificially inseminating sheep.
he.gif
Course it was funny when she was telling a bunch of us at the spinning meeting, we were
lau.gif
(Kim tells a great story.) The problem was that the dry ice in the canister was only good for about 4 or 5 days and if they didn't send it along she would loose the shipment. So after much
rant.gif
she finally did get it sent.

OK back to
caf.gif
now.

I was going to work on about 6 ladies and a roo per 24sq feet for the breeders. That way I can assess the roo's performence and adobo him if he is shooting blanks. I should be gather 20 - 35 eggs in a week from those six hens. If I do all seven breeds, thats probably 200 eggs a week into a bator. Too much for me to handle without a major capital and human resource investment - so I will just collect the eggs for incubation from just the 2 days prior to setting. That way I also dont have to worry as much about keeping eggs at 60 degrees. This is an almost unatainaable temperature in the Philippines. A fridge is 40F while the ambient temp is 83F. Out bedroom AC when we need it is set at 78F. I need a fridge running full time with special thermostat to keep it in the sixties - an expense I am not ready for.

Piglett: Get that roo in shape or make him the easter lunch. I need some Brittish Orps come May!! LOL - I can also take them 4th of July. Or Labor Day.

Oz you might want to look into a Reptipro incubator. Because they are designed to hatch reptiles as well as birds they have a chilling feature (because some reptile eggs must have a simulated winter in order to hatch) It can take the temps down to 60 and hold them there. It even goes lower than that but you don't need anything else. That way you could collect your eggs and hold them at 60 degrees and move them to another bator or when full just program it for hatching.

I seem to remember a You Tube video about converting a wine refrigerator to an incubator. I can't remember if it still retained its ability to chill though.

I know I'm still caching up on your year here. I hope you are doing alright.

Oz you might want to look into a Reptipro incubator. Because they are designed to hatch reptiles as well as birds they have a chilling feature (because some reptile eggs must have a simulated winter in order to hatch) It can take the temps down to 60 and hold them there. It even goes lower than that but you don't need anything else. That way you could collect your eggs and hold them at 60 degrees and move them to another bator or when full just program it for hatching.

I seem to remember a You Tube video about converting a wine refrigerator to an incubator. I can't remember if it still retained its ability to chill though.

I know I'm still caching up on your year here. I hope you are doing alright.

Actually this trip i am sealing up a room that is 12x4 that will be just the incubation room. I plan to run a dehumidifier to keep the room at 65% humidity, Trying to control the humudity just in the bator is futile.

The incubators are fine tuned and working well.

Its a great relief to have Mrs Oz back safe and sound with her parents. It was tough on her spending the last six months in a house with the only man being our 2 year old son - more of a mascot really.

This morning she went to the pier with the car and trailer and her father's old pick up.

I still say they could of fit more on the pick up
lau.gif

They had to call in the reinforcements but the rest of the container fit inside a Mits Pajero (montero)

They made an interesting convoy from the pier to the house.

Note the blue drums on the trailer.

When I was in Cavite I saw them for sale. I thought they would be ideal to put all the clothes, kitchen and kids stuff in. We ended up with 5 or 6 55 gallon and 4 20 gallon drums to repurpose into feed bins and water containers.

Back
Top Bottom