Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

all is well in new hampshire OZ
glad to hear that Mrs OZ is back home again
my inlaws are are well
their house pulled through fine
my farther inlaw did loose 30,000 pesos worth of fish traps
they were in about 400 feet of water & when the storm came through the blue barrels that had been used as markers got washed away
i hope he put aside some of the profit from them so he can build replacements

Marily is back working but is still on lite duty till the 22nd

no snow yet here but it is getting cooler

piglett
Mrs Oz is exhausted but glad to be back.

The kids returned to their preschool today. They were a little intimidated but enjoyed it.

Unpacking and sorting of things to keep in Bacolod versus taking to Tiling has started. I have 60 sq feet of plastic pig flooring amogst the haul as part of three farrowing pens I will build next week.

We have to get a few mini coops done for the purebreds. I have 4 or 5 breeds at point of lay.

Eggs should start to arrive Tuesday for the haul. Dorkings, Heritage RIR, Bresse Silver Penciled Rocks and White Rocks are the breeds of the month.

Its a busy week packing and planning.

I am trying to organise supplies to be there when I arrive and a couple of workers to man the welder.

I also picked up a cell phone repeater dirt cheap on ebay - bought by mistake by an American but for non-American cell phone frequencies. It would be great if we could get a reliable signal.

Sometimes I wish I had a play station remote that I could move things around with.

Mrs Oz is exhausted but glad to be back.

The kids returned to their preschool today. They were a little intimidated but enjoyed it.

Unpacking and sorting of things to keep in Bacolod versus taking to Tiling has started. I have 60 sq feet of plastic pig flooring amogst the haul as part of three farrowing pens I will build next week.

We have to get a few mini coops done for the purebreds. I have 4 or 5 breeds at point of lay.

Eggs should start to arrive Tuesday for the haul. Dorkings, Heritage RIR, Bresse Silver Penciled Rocks and White Rocks are the breeds of the month.

Its a busy week packing and planning.

I am trying to organise supplies to be there when I arrive and a couple of workers to man the welder.

I also picked up a cell phone repeater dirt cheap on ebay - bought by mistake by an American but for non-American cell phone frequencies. It would be great if we could get a reliable signal.

Sometimes I wish I had a play station remote that I could move things around with.

i think they use GSM in the Philippines
a good cell signal there would be ohhh so nice
what are you welding there?
i am very good with both stick & mig
but i'm not sure i can work for p300 a day plus lunch :)

i think they use GSM in the Philippines
a good cell signal there would be ohhh so nice
what are you welding there?
i am very good with both stick & mig
but i'm not sure i can work for p300 a day plus lunch :)
a modified version of:

4-120G91332054.jpg

i think the mother pig goes in there
it prevents her from rolling over onto the piglets when they are small

i think the mother pig goes in there
it prevents her from rolling over onto the piglets when they are small
Indeed.

Originally I wanted to free range the pigs but I dont have the land to give up to a huge pen so I am going with just a 3 sow at a time farrowing set-up and a total of 9 sows and 1 boar. The first two sets of piglets from each sow will be sold as weaners. Although there is good money in raising pigs to market, the cost of setting up housing for up to 90 growing pigs at a time is a too prohibative at the moment.

I am in search of a Duroc Boar

Biscuit_WEB.jpg

They are a fast growing breed.

My sows will be Landrace or Great Whites or crosses with Duroc

Large-White-Sow-in-pig-second-litter__2103201326820_1.jpg

Large Whites ears point up while Landrace ears are floppy

Cochette%20Landrace.JPG

And you guys thought all you would learn about is chickens
lau.gif

Hey Oz I know pigs can be AI'd you could get any boar you wanted without having to keep one on premisis....

Have you considered Old Spots? They are great foragers and good mommas not aggressivie when you handle their pigletts. They are also a heritage breed here. Probably not availalbe in PI. But a breed I was considering for a while.

deb

Back
Top Bottom