Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Thank you for that information. After I posted I went to look at my birds and the one with the largest affected area seems to be closed to healed up. Some of my other birds have a few tiny little flecks of black and white. My birds are not particularly well bred, evident in their pitiful combs, so it's only noticeable in the few birds with larger combs. Nothing on eyes, wattles or feet.. just combs.

They've been laying well, an egg a day most of the time. Seems I'm dealing with a -very- mild case.

I'm not sure that they ever recovered that gun, or identified which friend stole it. Scary!

As for the whole, why have a gun thing...I agree on one hand. I don't particularly care for guns, especially when there are children in the home. My husband wants one, to protect the property, but I'd rather not. We have four adventurous kiddos and I don't care how well its locked up...accidents happen. It scares me enough that our neighbors have guns. Last spring, we went over to slop their pigs. We were walking through their barn and noticed a rifle sitting, unattended, on the seat of their horse carriage. I don't know if it was loaded, or locked or what. But my kids saw it and the neighbor was nowhere nearby. His kids, and up to that point, my kids, run through that barn unattended all of the time! Between our two families, there are 9 children and my 7 yr old is the oldest. Its an accident waiting to happen.

Back to the gun rights stuff...on the other side of the coin...I'm also not really big into the government telling me what I can and cannot do, kwim? I'm not really into the government stripping away rights that were once ours. I think its a slippery slope, when you start giving up rights.

i'm late to the party but i'll add my 2 cents if you don't mind
if your kids had never seen a sharp knife
what would happen if they saw one next door?
one of them would pick it up & might even cut his/her self
the problem isn't the knife it's that they have never been taught the do's & don't when it comes to knives
150 years ago most farm house would have some type of long gun hanging over the fireplace
or up on the wall. the reason was so it was in easy reach
the children back then were taught how to shoot at a young age
they were taught that guns were not toys & to respect them
if they got caught "playing" with a gun they would quickly find themselves behind the barn with their farther giving them a good spanking
they would learn from this & so would their siblings

nowadays many people have a "lock up all guns" mindset
i keep a couple out for home defense
if they are all locked up how could my wife use one if needed
it's tough to find the keys to the gun safe at 3am with the lights off in the house
ever hear the saying when "seconds count the police are only minutes away" ?
but that is the great thing about the US
i can do as i please at my place
you to can do the same so it's all good.

piglett

I'm just gonna come out and say it, I do mind that you add your 2 cents. This isn't a gun thread and I sure hope it stays that way
rant.gif

i'm late to the party but i'll add my 2 cents if you don't mind
if your kids had never seen a sharp knife
what would happen if they saw one next door?
one of them would pick it up & might even cut his/her self
the problem isn't the knife it's that they have never been taught the do's & don't when it comes to knives
150 years ago most farm house would have some type of long gun hanging over the fireplace
or up on the wall. the reason was so it was in easy reach
the children back then were taught how to shoot at a young age
they were taught that guns were not toys & to respect them
if they got caught "playing" with a gun they would quickly find themselves behind the barn with their farther giving them a good spanking
they would learn from this & so would their siblings

nowadays many people have a "lock up all guns" mindset
i keep a couple out for home defense
if they are all locked up how could my wife use one if needed
it's tough to find the keys to the gun safe at 3am with the lights off in the house
ever hear the saying when "seconds count the police are only minutes away" ?
but that is the great thing about the US
i can do as i please at my place
you to can do the same so it's all good.

piglett

Turning this from a gun debate to a discussion on parenting...

Pig, I understand what you're saying. But I can't tell you how many times I have told my children xyz only to find them still doing xyz! Why? Not because they are undisciplined...my children are actually quite well-behaved and we have a no-nonsense discipline policy with our crew. We are old-school and we demand respect, honor and integrity from our kiddos. But...they are still children. They do stupid things because they don't remember not to. They do stupid things because they have not yet developed to the point of thinking things through. The other day, my 4 yr old was sitting on our staircase waiting for his 5 yr old brother to finish his school lesson with me. I knew that Talon was sitting on the stairwell...it was no big deal, he was sitting nice and quiet.

I discovered a bit later why he was sitting so quietly. He had peeled a section of paint off the wall! Now...he peeled that paint because the folks who built this house were idiots and used the wrong kind of tape when they put the walls up, and now that tape is peeling, which leads to paint being easily peeled.

But Talon didn't peel that paint because he didn't know it was wrong to peel paint. He didn't do it to be naughty, either. He did it because he just plumb wasn't thinking about what he was doing! He knew it was wrong, because he has seen his older brother spanked for the exact same thing. On more than one occasion! I mean, we have had some serious discussion in our house about peeling paint. They ALL know it is wrong.

But little minds...they just do not think. They don't.

Now...to use the example you gave with sharp knives. If my children encountered a sharp knife for the first time at the neighbors, and an accident happened...the likelihood of that accident being fatal is MUCH MUCH less than if an accident were to happen with a gun. Certainly, they could inflict serious damage with that knife...but it is much less likely. Now, should they encounter a gun at the neighbors...even after being taught gun safety, etc etc etc...we are talking about children that are 8 and younger. THEY DON'T THINK! It is almost guaranteed that a 6 yr old is going to pick up that gun and play with it. And if it's loaded...forget it.

In any case, I do agree with you on the merits of having guns locked up as it relates to protecting your home from a home invasion, etc. I have said the very same thing to my husband, when he suggested we should buy a gun for my protection, yet keep it locked up so the kids don't get in to it.

Ironically, I had to call my neighbor over today to dispatch a raccoon that was wobbling around during the day time. My husband said to me when he came home, "Wouldn't it have been nice if you could have done that yourself?" I was like..."NOPE".

I apologize for continuing the gun debate...lol.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me. There is a group of people here...who check in regularly...and it is bound to happen that other topics aside from chickens will come up. I, personally, do not see the issue with that. I think its good to have discussions like this!

However, it is Oz's thread, so if you prefer no gun debates...than no gun debates shall be had!

Turning this from a gun debate to a discussion on parenting...

Pig, I understand what you're saying. But I can't tell you how many times I have told my children xyz only to find them still doing xyz! Why? Not because they are undisciplined...my children are actually quite well-behaved and we have a no-nonsense discipline policy with our crew. We are old-school and we demand respect, honor and integrity from our kiddos. But...they are still children. They do stupid things because they don't remember not to. They do stupid things because they have not yet developed to the point of thinking things through. The other day, my 4 yr old was sitting on our staircase waiting for his 5 yr old brother to finish his school lesson with me. I knew that Talon was sitting on the stairwell...it was no big deal, he was sitting nice and quiet.

I discovered a bit later why he was sitting so quietly. He had peeled a section of paint off the wall! Now...he peeled that paint because the folks who built this house were idiots and used the wrong kind of tape when they put the walls up, and now that tape is peeling, which leads to paint being easily peeled.

But Talon didn't peel that paint because he didn't know it was wrong to peel paint. He didn't do it to be naughty, either. He did it because he just plumb wasn't thinking about what he was doing! He knew it was wrong, because he has seen his older brother spanked for the exact same thing. On more than one occasion! I mean, we have had some serious discussion in our house about peeling paint. They ALL know it is wrong.

But little minds...they just do not think. They don't.

Now...to use the example you gave with sharp knives. If my children encountered a sharp knife for the first time at the neighbors, and an accident happened...the likelihood of that accident being fatal is MUCH MUCH less than if an accident were to happen with a gun. Certainly, they could inflict serious damage with that knife...but it is much less likely. Now, should they encounter a gun at the neighbors...even after being taught gun safety, etc etc etc...we are talking about children that are 8 and younger. THEY DON'T THINK! It is almost guaranteed that a 6 yr old is going to pick up that gun and play with it. And if it's loaded...forget it.

In any case, I do agree with you on the merits of having guns locked up as it relates to protecting your home from a home invasion, etc. I have said the very same thing to my husband, when he suggested we should buy a gun for my protection, yet keep it locked up so the kids don't get in to it.

Ironically, I had to call my neighbor over today to dispatch a raccoon that was wobbling around during the day time. My husband said to me when he came home, "Wouldn't it have been nice if you could have done that yourself?" I was like..."NOPE".
Totally agreed! And it isn't just the little ones! Trust me I had the same issues as a 16 year old
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom