Getting Turkeys!! Need some info though!

Orpingtons43

Songster
Dec 27, 2017
Hello All,
I plan on getting turkeys possibly next week from a local breeder. I’d be getting 2 or 3 hens and 1 gobbler (male). They’d be about half grown. What do I need to feed them? Can turkey’s free-range?
Thanks

Hello All,
I plan on getting turkeys possibly next week from a local breeder. I’d be getting 2 or 3 hens and 1 gobbler (male). They’d be about half grown. What do I need to feed them? Can turkey’s free-range?
Thanks
A quality all flock feed will work fine for them at their age.

Yes turkeys can free range but it isn't a good idea to get new turkeys and just turn them loose. You need to confine them long enough for them to learn that this is home. When you first start free ranging them, do so only when you have the time to stay with and observe them.

Young turkeys fly very well and will get up on everything and could very easily end up somewhere they don't belong when they get back down.

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply! Will 2 or 3 weeks be enough to let them get used to home? Also, I plan on letting them roost in a pen at night.
Thanks again
A quality all flock feed will work fine for them at their age.

Yes turkeys can free range but it isn't a good idea to get new turkeys and just turn them loose. You need to confine them long enough for them to learn that this is home. When you first start free ranging them, do so only when you have the time to stay with and observe them.

Young turkeys fly very well and will get up on everything and could very easily end up somewhere they don't belong when they get back down.

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply! Will 2 or 3 weeks be enough to let them get used to home? Also, I plan on letting them roost in a pen at night.
Thanks again
It may or it may not be long enough. Each turkey is its own individual and how it will respond to the situation can vary greatly. Observing them will teach you about them and help you understand them. If they were broad breasted turkeys, you could probably get by with a few days but heritage turkeys can be different.

Their roosts need to be in a place where they are sheltered from the prevailing wind. They also have to have somewhere that they can get into the shade.

It may or it may not be long enough. Each turkey is its own individual and how it will respond to the situation can vary greatly. Observing them will teach you about them and help you understand them. If they were broad breasted turkeys, you could probably get by with a few days but heritage turkeys can be different.

Their roosts need to be in a place where they are sheltered from the prevailing wind. They also have to have somewhere that they can get into the shade.
Okay!! I will sure do that! I love birds so watching them won’t be a problem! Thanks for your help!!

I kept mine penned in their roost area for at least a week. Then, let them out during the day and herded them back to the pen in the evening (before they found someplace new to roost). Do that for awhile and they get used to going back to the designated roosting spot. Turkeys are fun!

Back
Top Bottom