1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting young chickens to start laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AWC, May 23, 2011.

1. AWC

AWC Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    I have artifical Easter eggs that I want to use as decoy eggs. Will the chickens respond to the bright colors when they aren't the color of their natural eggs?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You can use any color eggs as decoys. Hens don't care. I use white golf balls for my (mostly) brown egg layers. The problem you may run into with the plastic easter eggs is that they are too lightweight. The hens will kick them out of the boxes routinely making you go [​IMG]

You can fill them with something like sand and glue them shut, buy ceramic eggs to use or golfballs.

[​IMG]

3. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    They don't seem to care about color or shape. The golf balls worked great for me.

4. AWC

AWC Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Believe it or not I am using chalk Easter eggs because they were only ones left of the holiday. they will be heavy enough an about the right size, thanks. AWC

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do what you will- the only thing that will get your chickens to lay is maturity and patience. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by