1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

giant fans on golf courses??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by agnes_day, Jun 4, 2010.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    why are they there? i saw them yesterday when my husband and i drove by this country club, and then i saw some of the same fans on the lame golf course they have out here..are they to keep the golfers cool, or to make the ball go elsewhere...or what??

2. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I have wondered this too!
    [​IMG]

3. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    My guess is that it keeps the lawns cool so as to minimize yellowing/the need for watering.

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Are you sure it's not windmills? A few out here have them to "green" up the place. (Basically to shut up people who complain about the carbon footprint of all that water and fertalizer).

5. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    well surely someone on here can tell us..i think its kind of weird!

6. the lemon tree

May 12, 2009
    Source: http://grounds-mag.com/golf_courses/grounds_maintenance_giving_turf_breath/

Air
    movement and turfgrass health
    The growing environment of the turf on and around a green complex essentially is determined by sunlight penetration and air movement. These factors contribute mightily to the rate at which the putting green complex dries out.

Wet greens are usually bad greens. Excess moisture contributes to increased disease incidence as well as other maladies such as algae. Mechanical damage on greens that do not dry out quickly is even more severe. In traveling the Mid-Atlantic region, the worst greens I see are those located in pocketed growing environments with poor sunlight penetration.

Air movement across the green produces a drying effect for the soil and increases the evapotranspiration rate of the plant. This combination leads to drier conditions and healthier turfgrass.

Therefore, " For air flow, however, several options usually are available to improve airflow in a specific area. Removing underbrush and trees can improve air movement, while fans provide an artificial option for increasing air movement. A combination of tree removal and fan installation ultimately may be necessary to improve air movement and the overall growing environment."

7. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    ahhhhh, ok.
    thanks for clearing that up..i just couldnt even think of what they were for.

[​IMG]

8. the lemon tree

May 12, 2009
    I was curious too! You learn something new everyday!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by