Giant Silkie Project.

Does This Sound Like A Good Idea Silkie Lovers?

• Total voters
I'm aware. And in no way is that hatchery quality bird carrying the Khaki gene. It's practically non-existent in the US.
Mine does.
20220521_144421.jpg
Vs. Plain Dominant White.
20220521_153934.jpg

I'm aware. And in no way is that hatchery quality bird carrying the Khaki gene. It's practically non-existent in the US.
So you are saying that Khaki and Not recessive Chocolate is Practically non-existent in the USA?

I believe most Chocolate Colored birds in the USA Are heterozygous Dun(until recently) not until recently that recessive chocolate has made it's way to the USA from UK.

1669656551394.png

So you noticed the color as a chick and had him in a pen to cull and decided on his "odd coloring" as an adult that you'd keep him to breed?
So you are saying that Khaki and Not recessive Chocolate is Practically non-existent in the USA?

I believe most Chocolate Colored birds in the USA Are heterozygous Dun(until recently) not until recently that recessive chocolate has made it's way to the USA from UK.
1669656693462.png

Recessive Chocolate (behaves like Lavender) is very common in the US in some breeds (see above). Dun (Platinum/Khaki) which behaves like the Andalusian Blue gene is very, very rare in the US. I don't think it's common overseas by any means either. So again, the hatchery quality Silkie, that came from a hatchery in the US, does not carry Khaki, unless it's a spontaneous mutation. And if that happened, I better go buy a lottery ticket and hope that a meteorite doesn't land on my chicken coops.

View attachment 3335094
So you noticed the color as a chick and had him in a pen to cull and decided on his "odd coloring" as an adult that you'd keep him to breed?

View attachment 3335095
Recessive Chocolate (behaves like Lavender) is very common in the US in some breeds (see above). Dun (Platinum/Khaki) which behaves like the Andalusian Blue gene is very, very rare in the US. I don't think it's common overseas by any means either. So again, the hatchery quality Silkie, that came from a hatchery in the US, does not carry Khaki, unless it's a spontaneous mutation. And if that happened, I better go buy a lottery ticket and hope that a meteorite doesn't land on my chicken coops.
He was a cull because all three I planned on keeping were all cockerels. Nothing to do with the down color.
Odd color, meaning the adult plumage.
I picked him out of the bin, since he stood out from the rest of the chicks.

Spontaneous mutations seem to be my luck, played the lottery for years, yet haven't won a thing. :p

Dun (Platinum/Khaki) which behaves like the Andalusian Blue gene is very, very rare in the US.
I am not sure where you are getting your information from, but Dun is Anything but very rare in any part of the world.. It has been like that for the better part of 30 years that I have follow Chicken breeding/Genetics.

Platinum on the other hand(the combination of Blue and Dun) is vary rare indeed, but Dun. Is quite common(I find them all of the time on mongrels posted here and abroad)

I am not sure where you are getting your information from, but Dun is Anything but very rare in any part of the world.. It has been like that for the better part of 30 years that I have follow Chicken breeding/Genetics.

Platinum on the other hand(the combination of Blue and Dun) is vary rare indeed, but Dun. Is quite common(I find them all of the time on mongrels posted here and abroad)
If it was common, the hatcheries would be churning out garbage that carry the gene. Like Lavender Orpingtons. Which they effectively ruined in the US. If the two of you want to believe that bird is Khaki, be my guest. I don't see any point in wasting my time on multiple breeding projects that don't go anywhere, and deciding to breed yet another bird that is a poor example of its breed to create more mixed birds. If you do, then enjoy.
Meryl Streep GIF

I don't see any point in wasting my time on multiple breeding projects that don't go anywhere.
I Wish I had the resources, patience and enthusiasm of MysteryChicken she truly believes that she will complete most if not all of her projects. That gets her out of bed every day with a smile. I wish I could be like her. But I am an old grumpy pessimist instead.

Last edited:
I Wish I had the resources, patience and enthusiasm of MysteryChicken she truly believes that she will complete most if not all of her projects. That gets her out of bed every day with a smile. I wish I could be like here. But I am an old grumpy pessimist instead.
And here I am just happy that all the Orpingtons made it through another night without being eaten by a bobcat.
Miss Congeniality - Grumpt Elitist.gif

Back
Top Bottom