Giant Silkie Project.

Does This Sound Like A Good Idea Silkie Lovers?

• Total voters
Pics
Is having no spurs a disqualifying factor for breeding? Not that I am even possibly considering any breeding, ever. I'm just curious if that is something that is SOP
I don't think so. Most what I saw with the SOP for silkies is certain colors need to be a certain way (Not Getting into detail it'll take forever), good black skin, combs, & wattles need to be mulberry approaching black, foot feathering out to the middle, & fifth toes. That's all I can remember right now.

I don't think so. Most what I saw with the SOP for silkies is certain colors need to be a certain way (Not Getting into detail it'll take forever), good black skin, combs, & wattles need to be mulberry approaching black, foot feathering out to the middle, & fifth toes. That's all I can remember right now.

I'm sure there is a ton to SOP, so I understand. That's interesting though. Thank you so much for sharing. I can certainly see that spurs have advantages but I can also see where some folks would rather their birds not have them. I guess what folks want has nothing to do with SOP though. That's another wonderful thing about chickens. It'd be baffling and possibly unheard-of to know absolutely everything there is to learn about chickens, so that means there is always something to learn. I love that!

I'm sure there is a ton to SOP, so I understand. That's interesting though. Thank you so much for sharing. I can certainly see that spurs have advantages but I can also see where some folks would rather their birds not have them. I guess what folks want has nothing to do with SOP though. That's another wonderful thing about chickens. It'd be baffling and possibly unheard-of to know absolutely everything there is to learn about chickens, so that means there is always something to learn. I love that!
Agreed there. There's always something new to learn about chickens.

I am kicking around a couple ideas in different directions... one is a meat bird project. Another is Longtail Easter Egger/layer flock... and a couple pure breeding projects too... I know I am going to cross this cockerel when he matures... with
74B9AABC-0E2A-4DC6-8519-ACCCFDCE7135.jpeg

This hen and a few others for fun
DEAE317F-A4FF-437D-BABC-43D93F79C249.jpeg

But I also have some CX, Brahmans and Marans and yes Silkies ... so meat bird project is a possibility in several directions. May breed pure Marans too.

Egg layers I want to breed towards low tails maybe a more square Rhode Island type body, muffs and beards... white earlobes, willow or slate legs okay, comb open on right now... just want to fiddle with the genetics a bit for fun.

I am kicking around a couple ideas in different directions... one is a meat bird project. Another is Longtail Easter Egger/layer flock... and a couple pure breeding projects too... I know I am going to cross this cockerel when he matures... withView attachment 2193988
This hen and a few others for fun
View attachment 2193990
But I also have some CX, Brahmans and Marans and yes Silkies ... so meat bird project is a possibility in several directions. May breed pure Marans too.

Egg layers I want to breed towards low tails maybe a more square Rhode Island type body, muffs and beards... white earlobes, willow or slate legs okay, comb open on right now... just want to fiddle with the genetics a bit for fun.
Those will look interesting. Any coloration in particular you want for your experimental breed types?

I've been wondering how the silkies do for cold tolerance, esp the smaller ones. I hatched out some little ones this spring and now I'm hoping they won't be miserable this winter. I'll probably build them their own little coop once they're a bit more grown up, in the fenced part of the the back yard. I'm thinking of them more as pets. Right now they're with some of my layers and all the other chicks & juveniles in a summer tractor coop, free-ranging.

Also, are silkies harder to hatch? The breeder I bought from sent me 12+4 eggs from maybe 175 miles away. The package was a bit dented in on one side. The eggs didn't look bad and were well-packed--but only 5 hatched & 4 survived. (I had to cull one b/c his little foot looked like it was on backwards and he couldn't get around at all.) In the same incubator load, I hatched 11 of 14 Lt Brahma & Brahma Phoenix cross eggs that came from clear across the country. Do silkie eggs maybe need special conditions to hatch well?

Back
Top Bottom