Giant Silkie Project.

Does This Sound Like A Good Idea Silkie Lovers?

• Total voters
I only have to wait 4-7 days when I'm wanting specific chicks. :confused:
Even two or three days can be enough to have MOST chicks sired by the new rooster, but more days make it more likely, and it takes 3 weeks or more to be completely positive.

Someone did studies decades ago and found a few eggs could be fertile 3 weeks after the last mating, and we see occasional stories on this forum too. (When the rooster died or was sold, or when different roosters sire very different-looking chicks, is when people notice it and come ask questions.)

So it just comes down to how sure you need to be, and how much time you're willing to spend to get that level of certainty.

This boy has a 3rd spur growing which is interesting, considering he's a mix of Brahma, & Silkie.
20211023_145537.jpg
I may get pictures tomorrow of his extra spur.

Hey @MysteryChicken, what will the breeding order be after you cross the project giant silkies with the malays?
I won't be crossing the project Giant silkies with Malays.

The breeding order is like this for the next step.

LF Silkie X Malay

Silkie/Malay X Brahma/Silkie

Silkie/Malay/Brahma/Silkie X F2 Giant Silkie

This project will probably take a large amount of time and patients, but is a wonderful idea, I have always wished silkies were bigger, so they way be better off with predators, and even other flock members, so I think this Idea is an amazing one, that you should definitely pursue.

Back
Top Bottom