Giant, Sizzle, and PR sexing help, please

JadziaDax

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2015
Georgia, USA
I bought these chicks 3 weeks ago. I foolishly didn't read up on how to sex them prior to purchasing, so I took the lady at her word that everyone was a pullet. I'm pretty sure my PR is a cockerel, and I'm worried some of the others are as well :( She was very vague as to ages, so I'm just guessing how old they are. Help with that would be appreciated, too!

What say ye?

Jersey Giant - I'm guessing 4-5 months old? I suspect she is really a he :(

Sizzles - I think these babies are in the 8-12 week range.

And my PR - I'm about 98% certain this one is a cockerel. I think he's about 8-9 weeks old.

I'd be super happy if you said everyone is a pullet but I very much doubt it. Thanks for the help!

Damnnnnn it. I don't do roos.

That'll teach me. I got caught up in chicken math and didn't do due diligence. I'll probably give them a little longer just to make sure they aren't just manly hens (wishful thinking, I know) and then put 'em on Craigslist.

Sigh.

It can take a while to find an interested person, so you might want to put them up sooner rather than later. They're definitely cockerels. Sorry the seller was dishonest (unless she really didn't know).

I think she didn't know. The longer I talked to her, the more I realized she was relatively new to chickens and *probably* didn't know what she was doing (her setup was pretty good, but she wasn't really sure on ages and apparently sexes!), but the birds seemed healthy and I was already mentally committed to taking them home, LOL.

I was really hoping the Sizzles were pullets. I bought a group of three and they seem to be pretty tightly bonded :( I'm sure one of them is a pullet, but I started suspecting the lighter one of being a cockerel this week. I hadn't started suspecting the darker one, though - I thought there was still a decent chance it was a pullet.

I originally brought home 3 PRs. One was definitely a pullet and after about a week I suspected the other two were cockerels. Unfortunately, the pullet and one of the suspected cockerels drowned in the stock tank last week :(

Well, live and learn I guess. I'll be more careful next time.

Last edited:
That's a shame. I've lost a couple chickens to drowning as well, in a fish pond. I hope the rest stay pullets for you.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom