Gifted mystery chicken. Anything you can identify will help.

samolla1311

Chirping
Jan 26, 2021
Hi all.

I was gifted this chicken by my sister on Sunday. Allegedly she is a pullet but she is unable to confirm the age or breed. "She" is much smaller than my 10 week old Welsummer pullet, but she also seems to be in rough shape and is missing feathers at her back by her tail. I've attached the only decent picture I have as she is part road runner apparently.

Attachments

• View recent photos (1).jpg
    View recent photos (1).jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 13
Hi all.

I was gifted this chicken by my sister on Sunday. Allegedly she is a pullet but she is unable to confirm the age or breed. "She" is much smaller than my 10 week old Welsummer pullet, but she also seems to be in rough shape and is missing feathers at her back by her tail. I've attached the only decent picture I have as she is part road runner apparently.
A red Pyle game mix pullet.

Reportedly game hens (and game hen mixes) make excellent broody mothers. They're often submissive to their rooster, making them fast favorites with him (a likely cause of the missing feathers). Be sure to quarantine her for a month, in a wire dog kennel would be ideal for a look but don't touch setup with the rest of your flock. In addition to ensuring her good health this practice gives all of your birds a chance to gauge the others and makes the integration into your existing flock so much easier on this new arrival. Ensure that you have (or create) plenty of spaces for her to duck into, behind, and under for "out of sight" hidey-holes for just in case things don't go as smoothly as hoped for. It's typically harder for a single bird to integrate into an existing flock; you might consider extending her quarantine to 6 weeks, and introducing a low ranking pullet into the new girls cage for the last 2 weeks (the extra two weeks of quarantine) before introducing the pair into the flock. This will give her at least one friend upon introduction.
Thank your sister again for such a fine looking hen.

Back
Top Bottom