Gifted Rooster Identification

The cockerel looks gamey... maybe Barred Rock x gamefowl of some sort. The pullet looks like a Wyandotte mix :)
Oh interesting! I assume I shouldn't ever really use him for breeding if I want good egg layers, in that case? If he is part game fowl, do you know of anything I should look out for or be aware of? Or will care be pretty typical of any ordinary rooster?

Do you know if they bought them as chicks? Or if they hatched them?

The hen is pretty typical of hatchery-quality Golden-laced Wyandottes. With that nice rose comb, I highly doubt she’s a mix. He is absurdly tall/thin but with that very nice single comb I’d not bet on him carrying any Gamefowl. Usually they have modified single, rose, or pea combs. I’d say Barred Rock hatchery quality as he has yellow legs. But he’s very slender to be a Rock.

The hen is pretty typical of hatchery-quality Golden-laced Wyandottes. With that nice rose comb, I highly doubt she’s a mix. He is absurdly tall/thin but with that very nice single comb I’d not bet on him carrying any Gamefowl. Usually they have modified single, rose, or pea combs. I’d say Barred Rock hatchery quality as he has yellow legs. But he’s very slender to be a Rock.
Hi! Thank you so much for this information. I don't know much about the background of the chickens-- my neighbor got them from his brother because he felt his brother was keeping too many in a small space. It sounded like the brother does at least occasionally hatch them, so anything is possible!

I really appreciate your breed information! Thank you!

What do you mean by a modified single comb?

If they are originally from a hatchery, I’d say the cockerel is a black sex link and the hen is a cinnamon queen, a type of red sex link which is a RIR x silver laced wyandotte cross.

What do you mean by a modified single comb?

If they are originally from a hatchery, I’d say the cockerel is a black sex link and the hen is a cinnamon queen, a type of red sex link which is a RIR x silver laced wyandotte cross.
He wasn't talking about the OP's bird when he mentioned the modified single.

I agree that the cockerel looks like a BSL.

Back
Top Bottom