GIGANTIC egg!!!

jenhon

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 28, 2014
Is it normal for my BSL (who normally lays small to medium size eggs), to lay a MASSIVE egg?? It's 3 in tall and 2in wide...Seriously,I have no idea HOW it came out of HER!!

The egg on the right is not hers but it is pretty close to the size that she normally lays. I mean WOW!

Last edited:
Is it normal for my BSL (who normally lays small to medium size eggs), to lay a MASSIVE egg?? It's 3 in tall and 2in wide...Seriously,I have no idea HOW it came out of HER!!

The egg on the right is not hers but it is pretty close to the size that she normally lays. I mean WOW!

There is a wide range of "normal" when it comes to things like egg size, etc. It is not at all unusual for a hen to have the occasional much smaller or much larger egg that falls outside the typical range for her. Also, depending on age and which laying cycle she is currently in (1st, 2nd, etc) you can expect to see changes that are more long-term where the "odd" eggs become the new normal as her system continues to mature and run it's course.

I'm glad to know that it is normal...I was shocked! I was making sure that she was ok after I found the egg this morning! ha ha ha!!

Wow that's huge!!! One of our hens laid a big double yolk egg, but I don't think it was as big as that one. Poor chicken!

**update** It was a double yolk!! My son and I split it for breakfast this morning!
1f601.png
1f373.png
1f373.png
1f373.png

Crazy giant egg laid today by one of our two 25 week old Easter Eggers. Went from these smallish sizes on the left to this Ostrich egg. They just started laying last week. Most likely a double yolk? What does this? It is really massive.

Back
Top Bottom