Gimp Hen

ChickenIsRwar

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2019
I have a chicken that got injured from a chicken hawk attack. The bird in question wasn't on the receiving end but got injured while trying to hide. She managed to get caught is some chicken wire and an end scratched up her leg. It's been 5 weeks since then.

She seemed to be getting better but today she has been limping pretty hard and would rather lay down than try and keep up with the flock.

I have checked her leg an and nothing seems out of the ordinary and she doesn't have a foot fungus.

Should I separate her from the rest and let her rest for a week or so? Thoughts?

~Chicken

She may have pulled a muscle (or worse) in her hip area. I find it unusual that it would take five weeks to present though, so I'm thinking this may be a new injury instead. Since you've examined her thoroughly and found nothing, I'm still leaning towards a bruised muscle or sprain. I'd keep her with her flock unless she's being picked on, but would poke one baby aspirin down her throat daily for every three pounds of her body weight. If baby aspirin isn't available, you can use adult aspirin, but it doesn't taste as nice and may or may not be buffered. A 325mg adult aspirin is enough for a 13 pound chicken (25mg per pound) so you'd want to break that down into an appropriate dose. I hope she gets to feeling better soon.

I find it unusual that it would take five weeks to present though, so I'm thinking this may be a new injury instead.

I haven't given my best explanation. She was injured from the attack and has had a limo since then. Every now and then she seems to be fine, running with flock and all. But today she is limping pretty hard. It did just rain if that has any effect.

Nobody picks on her and the flock doesn't ignore her. She actually gets better treatment from the rooster and other hens'. I guess they feel for her.

Since you've not located a break, it might just be mighty sore. I think I'd start with the aspirin therapy.
On a personal note, I sprained my wrist earlier this year, had x-rays done to confirm it wasn't broken. It took me about five months before it didn't hurt anymore. I'm thinking that your hen may be experiencing the same lingering pain as I suffered.

I am not a doctor but I have broken my leg before. When I checked her out, the bones felt rigid and didn't move, so I don't believe she has a break.

My main concern is that when she hurt her leg, she scarred it and she will go through an endless cycle of spraining her leg.

That's why I didn't know if separating her into a smaller pen would help her recovery.

Any tips on getting the pain killer down?

Any tips on getting the pain killer down?
While tucking your bird into the elbow of your non-dominant arm and body, and while that non-dominant hand has their waddles gently yet firmly pinched between thumb and forefinger, gently pry her beak open with your dominant hand. Once her mouth pops open quickly wedge your pinky finger of your non-dominant hand between the upper and lower half of her beak. With your dominant hand, poke the aspirin into her mouth towards the back of her tongue. Release her waddles long enough for her to swallow, repeat until the correct dosage has been administered. She may resist this procedure, but it doesn't hurt her at all, and in the long run, will ease her pain :)

So I looked her over once more and at better detail. I noticed her muscles are more developed on her left leg than her right (the injured one). Thoughts? Still advocating the Tylenol?

Has anyone tried liquid Tylenol?

~Chicken

Never can tell, but certainly would be better than nothing for pain. Tylenol & any pain reliever with any type of 'caine' in the ingredients list are toxic to birds.
Has she been seen by a vet? Is that a possibility? A vet might be able to x-ray the foot, leg and hip to help determine if she's fractured a bone or perhaps slipped a tendon. Your profile doesn't mention what part of the world you're in, but if you're somewhere that aspirin is affordable, where I live, aspirin is just over 50 US Cents each for adult dosing, and slightly more for baby aspirin... go figure, more money for less medicine... that orange flavoring must be expensive :D I'd recommend giving the aspirin a try for a few days to see if there's any improvement.

Back
Top Bottom