Gimp leg being picked on by others

TerryD

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2017
I understand this is a forum mostly about chickens but I have Guinea fowl.. They were all raised together but due to dog piles etc one of the keets got a broken leg but has managed to get around just fine on one leg. As they grew gimp would just follow along with the pack in the rear but hopped right along. The past few days I noticed gimp not going into the pen at night and would want to just hide in the undergrowth in the woods. So tonight I caught him/her (its hard to tell sex on a guinea except by voice) and put it into the pen with the others.. They immediately started pecking on it until it hid its head under the feeder to protect itself. I know chickens and fowl have a pecking order and can be really cruel to one another but these were all raised together and now adults. Gimp I felt sorry for so I removed it from the pen and put it into a small raising pen by itself.
I hate to let them peck him to death but too soft hearted to try to protect it.. I suppose I will let him go into the wild tomorrow and hopefully it will make it on its own and the nighttime critters do not get it. I dont know what else to do. Does anyone have any suggestions.

I understand this is a forum mostly about chickens but I have Guinea fowl.. They were all raised together but due to dog piles etc one of the keets got a broken leg but has managed to get around just fine on one leg. As they grew gimp would just follow along with the pack in the rear but hopped right along. The past few days I noticed gimp not going into the pen at night and would want to just hide in the undergrowth in the woods. So tonight I caught him/her (its hard to tell sex on a guinea except by voice) and put it into the pen with the others.. They immediately started pecking on it until it hid its head under the feeder to protect itself. I know chickens and fowl have a pecking order and can be really cruel to one another but these were all raised together and now adults. Gimp I felt sorry for so I removed it from the pen and put it into a small raising pen by itself.
I hate to let them peck him to death but too soft hearted to try to protect it.. I suppose I will let him go into the wild tomorrow and hopefully it will make it on its own and the nighttime critters do not get it. I dont know what else to do. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Welcome To BYC

I don't know much about Guinea Fowl. But it would be kinder to put it down yourself instead of sending it into the "wild" to fend for itself. From your description of his difficulty and the behavior of the flock, then most likely he is ill. It could be that he is a "weak link" in the flock and they are driving him out - like chickens will do.

I would also suspect that he is most likely weak and dehydrated. Offer him some vitamins in his water and see if he will eat. Again, if you don't want to take the extra steps to give supportive care, then cull him.

Just my thoughts.

if you don't want to take the extra steps to give supportive care, then cull him.

Just my thoughts.
This. ^^^^ It's one of the realities and responsibilities of taking on animals of any kind. It would be cruel to just "let him go into the wild", not to mention irresponsible. The kinder thing would be a quick, humane death. If you leave him unprotected, he will become supper to something and that's not always a quick, kind death. Imagine the terror that poor bird would go through while a raccoon is tearing it apart before it dies. It ain't Disney Land out there. Wildlife is not all warm and fuzzy - especially those of a predatory nature. It can be a cruel place - especially for a domesticated animal that's been abandoned. I know it's hard to put an animal down, and by turning it loose for some predator to do it for you, you don't have to see it, but that easy way out is only easy for you.

I agree with the replies to date and definitely disagree with leaving him to his own devices in the wild but I would not like to see him lose his life because of his disability.

I would try advertising him .. someone will most likely take him in and look after his special needs.

I purchased a 3 month bantam Langshan hen at a Produce Store because she was in a cage all by herself. Her siblings were picking on her terribly. When I bought her home, after integration, she slotted into the flock quite well and is now, in fact, 2IC. She has been with us 4 years now.

Please give him a chance.

Last edited:
I thank you for your ideas and replies but its a moot now.. I put him into a cage by himself. I put him inside the barn with food and water. This morning after 2 days and nights we found him dead. I have no idea what happened to him. He had a tough life and I did all I could..
Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

I thank you for your ideas and replies but its a moot now.. I put him into a cage by himself. I put him inside the barn with food and water. This morning after 2 days and nights we found him dead. I have no idea what happened to him. He had a tough life and I did all I could..
Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

Hey Terry I am so sorry to hear this
hugs.gif

Sorry for your loss. I'm thinking there may have been something going on with him and that's why the other birds were picking on him. They can sense when another bird is weak or sick and will sometimes try to remove that bird from the flock.

Back
Top Bottom